Need Rules of Thumb

Covert Sniper

Hi,

I've been playing Tacops since it was first available for windows. Since then I have mainly played scenarios that are defensive in nature, i.e., defend an objective or prevent exit of opposing force. I usually play blue force and against the AI.

I would like to play more offensive scenarios but have had little luck in my success :( . I would like to concentrate on task force size scenarios. I need some general rules of thumb at two different levels involving offensive scenarios.

At the first level, what is my best strategy in developing an overall battle plan? I assume that advancing two or three seperate columns is better than trying to advance a single long column, but should one be stronger than the other? Should one or two small battle group(s) be established to go down the slot(s)? What should the composition of these forces be? What is a good composition of recon forces and how much lead time should they have in front of their main bodies? How should routes be selected especially when trying to advance across clear terrain?

At the second level, what should my tactics be upon encountering resistance? Beyond just spreading out, is it better to dismount and try to elminate resistance or retreat to cover and try to find an alternate route around resistance? Any sugestions for a good task force size scenario to start with? Shoot and scoot, masking by terrain and masking by elevation is pretty tricky when trying to advance to a specific objective in a limited time.

I understand that I am asking a lot of questions and most are pretty basic. Some answers depend upon the specific scenario or the specific situation encountered. Other answers depend upon an individual commander's style. If anyone has suggested reading from the TacOps library about these topics or useful hints, it would be greatly appreciated. Just help get me pointed in the right direction (usually to the east smile.gif ).

Finally, the red force in TacOps is modeled around the now defunct Soviet military. Because Soviet military doctrine had a different slant than US and Allied doctrine, Soviet equipment has different capabilities and strategy/tactics are probably somewhat different. The TacOps library is US and Allied doctrine. Any suggestions for reading on Soviet doctrine/strategy/tactics?

Thanks,

Randy

The Manuals and the Gazette are great for tips on Offensive Ops.

Speed-Move fast and don't get hung up in any slug fest.

Numbers- Dispersed to start with and then concentrate firepower at points of conflict.

Probe- Send out scouts and hit the enemy in a variety of locations. Often a weak point will be revealed that can be very useful.

This may sound a bit silly but read

Sun Tzu

Rommel

Patton

These guys really have great basic ideas that work on a mechainized battlefield.

I personally like defensive ops better but I also understand the use of trying to succeed in areas where I am weak.

Hope this helps.

Team Murray is a nice little company size offensive op. Once you learn how to attack with one company you can start working on how to coordinate 2 - 5 companies as a task force. After that, try TF Gebhard, it isn't quite as hard as TF Stubblefield.

The oldest rule-of-thumb is 3:1, try to concentrate three attacking platoons on one defender from a position or direction that prevents other enemy units from assisting the defender.

One of the tricky things about offense is planning each unit's movement so that it is either covering or being covered by the units to it's flanks.

Keep dispersed and keep moving! Don't stop in a position the enemy can put fire on. Artillery in the hands of a competent opponent will tear you to pieces. Use columns only for admin or covert movement. Once you make contact, spread out.

Play with the Preferences in your favor until you get the hang of a scenario, then make it harder by making the enemy more capable. And the number one rule, HAVE FUN! This is both a learning tool and a game. The one supports the other.

Thanks for the replies, they helped.

What are acceptable losses for offensive operations? I'm still struggling with 30%-50% losses. In the real world, that would probably place me as latrine CO for the course of my career smile.gif , but I am working on getting those numbers down. Offensive ops are certainly more challanging than defense. It opened my eyes to a totally different stlye of thinking, planning, and playing.

Thanks again,

Randy

Just as an observation: we have definite proof that there is no single best way.

In the CPXes you see the teams always doing something the umpire didn't expect. Whatever situation the players and teams are facing, all come up with drastically different solutions. However, I don't think we ever could mark one brand of the approches as principally invalid.

So I take that as proof that your question is in this case too high-level. At the high level you will probably not be ale to tune your tactics much longer, instead you will have to concentrate on performing better implementations of (hopfully various) styles.

Regarding reading on Soviet tactics, try the rough draft on RT's website:

http://www.battlefront.com/resources/tacops/HQ/files/sovtac.zip (in zip format)

Or use this link: http://www.battlefront.com/resources/tacops/HQ/text/intel.html and scroll down to the Russia/USSR section for a Mac version.

Let me know if you have questions on it; I apolgize for its state of incompleteness.

Originally posted by Randall Erickson:

... What are acceptable losses for offensive operations? I'm still struggling with 30%-50% losses. In the real world, that would probably place me as latrine CO for the course of my career smile.gif , but I am working on getting those numbers down. ...

Randy

Acceptable loss rates vary greatly by society and situation. Stalinist Soviet or Maoist generals could loss entire formations and still be promoted if they the met the political leadership's objectives. The modern west in contrast has become increasingly risk averse as anyone who gets so much as a hangnail gets an hour on the evening news.

In strictly practical terms, a unit that loses 30% or more of its strength generally requrires a couple of days to reorganize and replace the leaders it has lost. If you are doing a raid and all of the survivors get airlifted to home base that may be okay. If you are sizeing a major objective and expect the enemy to counter-attack with everything available then maybe you need a more conservative approach.

You also have to look at losses in key weapon systems. In an armor rich environment you cannot sacrific too many anti-armor teams or vehicls or what you have left will be largely irrelevant when that next enemy tank battalion shows up.

IRL your orders from higher headquarters would provide much of this information and could contain secondary mission requirements such as, "be prepared to continue the attack on order."

Hope this helps.