Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Looking for a pretty good Pacific sim (carriers)?

The best that I've come across are:

Carriers at War - believe it was by SSG. Not up to todays graphics but it played well. They had a Version II also.

Carrier - not sure who made it. Same comments as above.

You might find them at used software places. They haven't been published for a number of years.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zulu1:

The best that I've come across are:

Carriers at War - believe it was by SSG. Not up to todays graphics but it played well. They had a Version II also.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey I had that game too! You're right, it did play well. Good game. Had some bugs. Needed a patch, but that was before the WWW. Direct-dial BBS services were all that was around then on 2400 Baud modems at that. Never got the add-on though. Seems like I played that on my old 386-33MHz

Speaking of 2400 Baud modems, I had to download a ~750K video card driver for Windows 3.0 from San Francisco to Illinois and it took about 50 minutes using a direct-dial call to a BBS!

Long live local Internet Servers!

Yes, Matrix Games is re-doing the Pacific War game. They're using satellite accurate maps instead of the original EGA maps, plus alot of new features. I think it'll be released Q2 or Q3 2000.

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 02-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 02-13-2000).]

The best that I've seen:

Carriers At War - SSG/ short-quick carrier engagements, no real long-campaigns

Pacific War - SSI/ the whole bloody war in pretty high detail. I could never get into this one. The interface is _really_ clumsy IMHO.

Don't laugh, the absolute best carrier game I ever played is an ancient thing by Gary Grigsby called Guadalcanal Campaign on Apple II+. This one is actually available for free in PC version somehwhere. Drop me an e-mail if you're interested and I'll hunt down the site. It's text only - graphics are non-existant - but it's the only game that really immersed me and made me feel that I was commanding a Pacific Fleet.

p.

I had one which went under the title of World War Two. I think it was from SSI. It used the same scale as the old Flattop boardgame. Only problem was it used the internal clock on the computer to execute its turns, so on anything faster than a 50MHz machine it was unplayable.

This online game General Sauce has found looks interesting...

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !