***VoT Spoiler*** Bunkers & Arty

Guest Mirage2k

Guest Mirage2k

I keep reading about the lethality of American arty in VoT...about how you guys are knocking out bunkers with no problem. One question: how the hell are you doing this? Many times, I've expended a whole 105mm FO's fire missions on one bunker, and nothing much happens. Lots of "Hit, no damage." I usually end up using smoke and infantry...is that what you guys mean when you say you're knocking them down with arty?

-Andrew

No Mirage, Artillery will actualy take out a bunker. In one pbem right now I hit a concrete bunker and caused the crew to abandon it. Didn't blow the bunker up. I'm assuming it may have caused gun damage ect..

Lorak

Guest tom w

VoT Spoiler info...........

scroll down

There are four arty spotters some mortars.

I locate both the concrete bunkers first and

get clear LOS with two spotters on each one.

A 81 mm and the 105 mm sighted to each

then I sit back with all other units out of sight and out of LOF and drop shells until they bug out or are destroyed, the scenario is 35 minutes long and after 5-7 minutes of arty pounding then you only have to wait another 3-8 minutes for the four extra shermans and then adavance everything in a slow advance with the engineers moving up along the road.

There are four arty spotteres, take a minute or two to get them all clear LOS to the concrete bunkers and then just sit back and wait for the action to unfold before your eyes. Then target that anti infantry gun with the mortars and everything else in the way of arty that is left over, that crew will bug out pretty quick too.

I would suggest that to advance those 2 Shermans before that easlily identifable anti-tank concrete bunker is ko'd, could be a complete waste of two Shermans.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mirage2k:

I keep reading about the lethality of American arty in VoT...about how you guys are knocking out bunkers with no problem. One question: how the hell are you doing this? Many times, I've expended a whole 105mm FO's fire missions on one bunker, and nothing much happens. Lots of "Hit, no damage." I usually end up using smoke and infantry...is that what you guys mean when you say you're knocking them down with arty?

-Andrew<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do agree with you Andrew, I myself have unloaded and 81 mm spotter and a 105 spotter's fulll load's on that very same map without barely a nick. mad.gif

Schulz

As far as strategy goes on the map once you get the 105 Sherms Up the Far left Road past the slit on the bunker they are all very simply taken out.

[This message has been edited by Sgt Schulz (edited 05-24-2000).]

I find bunkers to be a waste of arty ammo. Sure, I might get them, but arty is much better at killing troops. If I don't kill the Germans grunts with arty, I end up losing too many US grunts in the inevitable firefights.

I have found that tanks have little difficulty in killing the 75mm bunker. The 105s need to be fairly close to have a decent chance of hitting it, but all the reinforcers can easily do the job with little or no loss from near the entry area.

So what I usually do is just smoke the 75mm bunker when I need to cross its LOS but otherwise ignore it until the reinforcements arrive. Then I have most of the tanks engage it simultaneously and that's the end of it. Meanwhile, my arty and M4(105)s have been committing horrible atrocities on the wood bunkers, MGs, grunts, and the IG. The problem is then the Panther.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

Guest GriffinCheng

* * * MORE SPOILER ALERT * * *

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

The bunker with 75mm PaK is always my pirority target and is always deal with 105mm off board artillery first, sometimes together with smoke rounds. I rarely risk my shermans with it. Other bunkers are easily handled by shermans, 105 or 75mm guns work great with them. I have yet had a chance to use my combat engineers on the bunkers. I have yet to meet "bad luck" that all my 105 oba misses a bunker: just make sure your observer has a clear LOS to the target and fire-bomb them at will.

Griffin @ work