Game idea: 1776 setting using the CM engine

Guest herbjorn

Guest herbjorn

I think it would be great fun if BTS could utilize the CM engine and create a 1776 era game with English regulars, rebels, dragoons etc. Or would it be possible to make expansion packs for CM with Napoleonic battles, the Zulu war etc. as it is my impression that CM seems very customizable?

Frankly, I think that CM's basic type of format will be widely copied. I believe we'll be seeing more, and more wargames covering varying subjects, and time periods which utilize the CM 'format'. Think about it, the possibilities are endless, The Alamo, The Zulu wars, the U.S.civil war, the Spanish-American war, etc. I for one feel that in this way CM is going to open all kinds of fun doors for us wargamers, and I'm very grateful for that. Thanks BTS!

------------------

Darryl

You could make CM do any war you would like. However, would they be as entertaining as WWII+ scenarios? Fighting WWI on a battalion level will be pretty boring. Having an entire battalion assault another in entrenched positions, without much cover. Although this isn't always the case.

Some other wars, mostly the wars of Colonializm, would tend to be very one sided. The Europeans vs Africans/Indians/etc. would be technology vs/ numbers. There were some occasions (Ethiopia 1890's) where the Africans came out ahead, but, not too many.

The American Civil War, Crimean War, Franco-Prussian War, Austro-Prussian War, etc. would all make fairly interesting CM games.

Modern CM will probably be the next step after WWII (if they ever run out of WWII ideas!). Korea, Vietnam, French Indo-China, Hypothetical NATO vs. Warsaw Pact, Multiple African Wars, Middle East Wars, Algeria, etc.

Guest Babra

My first thought when I tried the demo was how well the system would lend itself to an age of muskets genre. The only games I play with regularity are Talonsoft's Battleground series and I love them despite their flaws.

The basic idea of how the game operates would translate perfectly into a Napoleonic, Colonial or ACW setting. Maybe some day...

------------------

It's "BAB-ra!"

I'm all for BTS concentrating on WWII battles in subsequent games before moving on to other wars.

Besides, I think this engine is best suited for a wide variety of terrain (unlike most pre-WWI wars which were mostly heavily forrested), and wide diversity of weapon ranges.

Having said that, I think a Gettysberg edition would be interesting.

[This message has been edited by Hundminen (edited 03-12-2000).]

I'm not really sure if this game would be that fun as with pre-WWII wars. The problem is this is a battalion level game. In WWI, battalions would charge across open fields and get slaughtered for the most part. Before WWI, battalions would either fire from defensive positions are charge across an open field. Battalions at this time stayed very close together so there wouldn't be much room for manuever in a CM version of the American Civil War, Napoleonic Wars, etc.

I think BTS should first stick with WWII and then if they want to make the game for wars that occured after WW2, i.e., the Korean War.

All American

------------------

perviously known as Kid

Guest Babra

Hey, if the age of muskets isn't your bag, no sweat. But don't gimme this no maneuver, no fun, so don't bother crap. Napoleonic (and ACW) battles have as much or more maneuver and tactics as any 20th century setting. The only difference is that the maneuver elements are bigger, and the tactics different. This myth of immobile lines on billiard tables is so much bull...

That's the problem, the maneuvar elements are bigger. Combat Mission is a battalion level game, BTS would need to make the game based at a higher level of organisation to be any fun. There is very little maneuvar at the battalion level.

All American

------------------

perviously known as Kid

Guest Big Time Software

I'll skip right back to the beginning question. CM is *not* "very customizable". Instead it is HIGHLY WWII specific. Sure, we could change it to be anything we wanted it to be, but the effort is not small. As we have discussed dozens of times before, we need to focus on what we know and what we know sells well. That is WWII for both cases wink.gif So do not expect anything other than WWII games out of us for the next 9 or so years, as that is what our schedule looks like wink.gif

As for making the CM engine into something that can be handed off to someone else to do another type of game, not likely. Anybody that writes code knows that it is not easy to do this either as the receiver or as the giver. The complex nature of CM's code and environment makes this even harder to do. So we don't think it is likely that the code base will see any other programmer working on it other than Charles.

Steve