1.04 - Tac AI firing too much smoke? (at weird times)

I'm playing ther Germans in an operation against the AI with 1.04, and have the Amis totally on the run. As the amis retreat, my tanks and guns seem to be providing them a smoke screen on their own initiative. Every turn a few more smoke rounds will show up and it will turn out that a tank or gun has decided to fire smoke instead of HE at the retreating troops. The tanks and guns are all at least 200 m (and sometimes 500+ m) away, and the nearby ones have plenty of infantry support.

This has happened about 3 turns in a row, and I keep "show paths/targeting lines on" so that I can see the targeting lines for smoke (and remove them), so I know I'm not ordering smoke. I've even watched a gun go from no assigned target to selecting some infantry 400+ m away and firing smoke at them. Odd.

Has anyone else seen this, and is it possible that it's a by product of changing how the Tac AI decides which rounds to use?

I had a Tiger do this to an infantry squad, but the Tiger only had one HE round left and the infantry squad was in a building. When they left the building and began running away, the Tiger fired its last HE round at them.

Did your tanks have a lot of HE left? I think that the AI will save HE if it only has a few left and switch to smoke, why it does this, I have no idea. As far as I know, smoke doesn’t have any offensive value.

------------------

To conquer others is to have power,

To conquer yourself is to have strength.

-Lao Tzu

I've noticed lots of smoke in AI battles, usually at strange times -like after all the oomph has gone out of their asault. Suddenly, the ground around my troops will be peppered with smoke for no apparent reason. No one's attacking and no one's necessarily retreating anywhere. Just smoke everywhere. I always assumed it was the AI. Are you sure it's all your smoke?

------------------

"Well then private, it must be sh*t. Good thing we didn't step in it."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jadayne:

Are you sure it's all your smoke?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure that the retreating amis haven't got any vehicles left smile.gif. That's what I thought it was at first, and was surprised that there were so many vehicles, but I turned on "show targeting lines" and there were white lines to the smoke puffs. As described above, I even watched a gun go from having no target, to deciding to fire smoke on its own. My attack is still in pretty good shape, but I've been pausing to shell the infantry before I drive them the rest of the way off the map...

Yep, seeing the same thing in 1.04.

Played two quick battles against the Amis and after I was waxing them, down came the smoke and a half hearted charge at me.

Also hada Hetzer decide to fire smoke at some infantry 100 meters away. ??? Still, while it had plenty of HE left.

Never noticed this in 1.03 and earlier.

Ok, this happened AGAIN last night. Very bizarre this time.

Had a 75mm AT gun that had just waxed an M24 from over 350 meters. AFTER it destroys the M24, it suddenly switches to smoke and fires a smoke round 350 meters, into the trees.

What the fuh??

There was nothing on the hill other than infantry, and all it did was obscure *my* line of site.

There is definitly something going on here. Oh, and again, like clockwork, after I'd mowed down the Ami attack, towards the end I got bombed with smoke. Happens every time now.

Has anyone seen an offboard HE bombardment in 1.04, or does the AI fires smoke ALL the time with ALL tubes??

Guess, I start a test run tonite.

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

I've only played a couple of games with 1.04 but the only bombardment I've seen by the computer is a massive smoke bombardment and this was at night in fog (maybe thick fog) where the visibility was only 23m or so to begin with. I had never seen such a large smoke bombardment before - hope there's not a new bug.