Say Hello to the Newbie and His Question!

Well, upon recommendation from a friend, I downloaded the CM demo recently.

Needless to say, I was impressed...

I did have a question however. It was fairly clear how to move men, target enemies, etc.

But I REALLY don't know how to use the light mortars I have. Do all the crews HAVE to be within LOS of the enemy?

In my book, that's a quick way to get SHOT! biggrin.gif

Is there any way for other units to act as observers for them?

(Perhaps I am wrong about this, but I tried to get some mortars to fire on a tree line they could not see. Even after three rounds, they had not done anything besides sit and look pretty...)

So, any advice would be very much appreciated.

*Newbie waves goodbye, and hopes not to get flamed* wink.gif

I plan to buy the full version quite soon, as long as I can get used to the Demo's controls.

Hi and welcome. You can use HQs to spot for the on-board mortars. They must be in command and I believe the mortars can't move.

If the HQ has a LOS to the target and the mortar is in command range of that HQ, you can target the mortar normally. Hope this helps.

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Hello newbie, hello question.

The answer is, sorta.

You're not going to be able to use on-board mortars in the indirect fire role that you may be used to using them from other wargames.

On-board mortars can only fire indirectly if they are in command with an HQ unit which has LOS to the target. Therefore, I like to stick a battery of mortars on the reverse slope of a hill, sneak an HQ unit up to the crest, and start bringing down the goodness.

Hope this answers the question, and have fun with the game.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

The on-board mortar teams have a minimum and maximum range and they have to be able to see their target. Great for adding some hurt to an enemy already engaged. The trick is you want infantry to engage the target then have the mortar teams move up and paste the enemy squads.

Mortar spotters though, can call in mortar stikes w/o a line of sight.

-john

Well, I thought there was an article about mortar indirect fire procedure at http://combathq.thegamers.net , but I couldn't find it under the article section.

You should check them out, as you find them to be very informative anyway.

But I could not let you go without the information you requested, so I have to put on my director's cappi and say:" Indirect mortar fire in CM, Take 3278 aaaaaand ACTION"

There are two ways you can use mortar IF ( indirect Firing) in CM; the first one is using a TRP ( Target Reference Point - the big target marker the Germans have in Valley of Trouble) and using HQ units as mortar spotters.

Lets deal with the TRP thingie first:

During setup you can put the TRP anywhere you like. For example at chokepoints where you think the US is going to make their main thrust towards the objectives. Your mortar units can target or a position close to it the TRP from any position, but they may not move at all!!!

After your mortar units have moved all the precious pre-calculated data of vectors, projectile drift and relative moon humidity are lost. Did I say you shouldn't move your mortar units when you want to use the TRP?

Fire at the TRP is highly accurate and the ROF of the mortars is increased. When you have the full version ( I hope you order it soon) the delay times for your artillery forward observers is also decreased, but that is another matter which is dealt with in John Woo's new action movie " Friday night firefight - ChoppieChoppie in Chinatown".

Now for the HQ units used as spotters for mortar units: The mortar units must be in command of the HQ unit used as spotter ( look at the red-brown line from the HQ drawn to the mortar units). Use then the LOS toll from the command menu for the HQ unit to check out what the HQ can actually see. You can now target any spot with your mortar units ( commanded by the HQ in question, of course) using AREA FIRE. It is important that the target line for each mortar unit is orange ( indicating area fire). It doesn't matter if your mortar units have moved before for using this kind of IF. The drawback of it is that your mortar units fire at the spot for the whole turn, using up precious ammo, weather the enemy has moved out of the area or not.

Yes, that's it. Where is my free copy of CM2 BTS? biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Schugger (edited 10-16-2000).]

Cool, they have a spell checker!

[This message has been edited by Schugger (edited 10-16-2000).]