British Tanks: Underrepresented in User Created Scenarios??

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

Could an American or British city have withstood what the Leningraders did? I hope we never have to find out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely, but only because they were not given a choice to begin with.

The Germans did not even offer to accept the surrender of the city, nor would they have, at least not until after the winter. They had no interest in feeding all those civilians.

I wonder what would have happened had the local Soviet commander jsut ordered his troops to leave thier positions in front of Leningrad and walk away?

Jeff Heidman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some good stuff on this thread.In response to a couple of points,Hitler did propose a negotiated peace with Britain that would have have allowed the British to keep their Empire and Commonwealth in return for allowing the Nazis a free hand in Europe.Senior members of the British cabinet,fearing an imminent German invasion,proposed accepting the deal,but Churchill was dead set against the idea and refused to consider it. I agree with Jeff about the importance of the western allies intervention on the western front,Stalin certainly thought it of vital importance,and the opening of a second front in Europe was always the first item on his agenda.But whatever,the important thing is,it was an ALLIED victory,with all sides,more or less,pulling together.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

I wonder what would have happened had the local Soviet commander jsut ordered his troops to leave thier positions in front of Leningrad and walk away?

Jeff Heidman

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff,

Well, my guess is the following:

--The local Party boss would have radiod moscow and told them what was up, at which time he would have been given order to arrest and shoot the Army commander. In fact, its likely that the Party cadre would not have even bothered to radio for instructions.

--The immediate German attack would have killed many troops who were withdrawing.

-- NKVD troops would have killed the troops who the germans did not kill.

--The new leningrad commander would order the defensive lines to be taken up again.