TCP/IP play

I just got CM for Xmas. I'm a big fan of WWII strategy games having played PG, Close Combat, and Steel Panthers extensively in the past. The thing I loved about CC was it's a real-time game. I love to play head-to-head as opposed to vs computer (something to be said for the manp-a-mano aspect of playing. Being that CM is turn-based, I have a suggestion while I see you are working on the TCP/IP functionality based on a game called Global Conquest I used to have. It too allowed players to enter their unit orders, then these orders simultaneously, similar to your game engine. The interesting part about it was this: the time available to enter these orders were finite (either a minute, two minutes, five). This allowed for more pressure packed order processing and certainly gave the game more of a realtime feel. An added kicker to this process was the ability of one player to submit his orders and set off a fuse which would then alert the opponent that they had X amount of time to complete their order phase (talk about pressure) - the time for this was a variable agreed to by the players and was set in the startup options.

Think about the possibilities, you have two opponents at opposite ends of the internet connection, evaluating the situation facing them, then handing out orders as fast as they can to handle the tactical situation, with some added pressure of time working against them. Aren't, minus the actual physical dangers, those the real challenges which battlefield commanders faced with then and now?

If this is something you've already considered, then I apologize.

P.S. Love the game so far, and am looking forward to TCP/IP play (of course with my idea implemented :))

Hey,

I used to love global conquest also and used to play with the "dynamite timer"

However, this will probably not work for CM, just because there are a lot of scenarios where one is the attacker and one defender as opposed to the spread and conquer strategy for GC.

I have played many scenarios as the defender where everything is where I want it and just hit GO right away because there is nothing for me to do but just sit and wait for them to show up. This would be just to much unfairness for the attacker that has to issue orders out to everyone initially to get his plan moving.

I do like the overall timer idea, but don't think the fuse will work

I have yet to try TCP but will do so next week!

Thanks for replying. Global Conquest was great when you consider how long ago it came out! :)

Re: the timer fuse with CM - I'm sure it could be tweaked to be made to work. Clearly, when the defender has time on his side, some adjustment would have to be made like the attacker gets an additional 10 minutes or something, or some formula is used depending on scenario size, but I think it's definitely workable, if what you're aiming for is some sort on finite time in which to submit your orders.

Any thoughts on how to implement?

You can implement the fuse idea in the following manner:

Set up the game for x minutes (any number, say 1 minute). Then when each move begins, immediately stop the timer (both players have to do it). This gives unlimited time as long as both players want it. Whenever one player wants to start the fuse, he restarts the timer (any single player can do it).

Henri