Of killing bunkers, AVRE, and other stuff.

Has anyone managed to put AVRE into a good use?

My experience reveals it almost worthless. It can't face a

AT pillbox, too little armor. While it could be used to kill

MG bunkers and boxes, any armor can do that. As infantry

support it's kind of ok, but the shots don't pack enough

punch to really make it worth it.

After disappointment with AVRE I tested a few vehicles

against AT pillboxes, and found Greyhound to be a good

boxbuster! A excellent accuracy and good firespeed provide

frequent slit penetration kills.

Churchill VII is good against 75mm boxes,

(slit penetrations again) but against 88 it doesn't have

a chance.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

AVREs blow up buildings right quick. I *think* (although I'm by no means positive) that building demolition in house-to-house fighting was the AVRE's primary role during WWII. I haven't tested the AVRE's gun against pillboxes specifically, so I can't speak to your question there. But every time I've had one target a building, it's brought it down within a turn.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Combined with close terrain and other (76mm) tanks I've found the AVRE good for taking out King Tigers (belive it or not). The AVRE rarely kills them, but it often immobalizes. You can then flank them pretty easily. Personally, for a close suport tank I prefer the Churchill Croc. Wow! What a great tank!

--Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Churchill VII is good against 75mm boxes,

(slit penetrations again) but against 88 it doesn't have

a chance.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen VII's survive multiple 8.8 cm L/71 hits, frontaly, from 300 - 500ms and 5, 7.5 cm L/70 at 233ms frontaly. Thats one tough tank to kill. in my experiences biggrin.gif.

Regards, John Waters

---------

"Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!"

I've never been able to bring down a two-story building in a turn with an Avre but you might want to try in one of my newest scenarios here:

Todt Hotel http://www3.telus.net/pop_n_fresh/combatmiss/index.htm

The Brits have an Avre and a Wasp to try and dig out tenacious Falschimjagers (sp?). In my own personal testing I blew up three two-story buildings with the Avre before it ran out of ammo (and was subsequently plinked by a panzerschreck. I sure wish I could have overrun that bastard).

------------------

----

To download my scenarios: go to

http://www3.telus.net/pop_n_fresh/combatmiss/index.htm

• 2 months later...

Just bumping to see if anyone has put AVRE to good use. Also Am I understanding the main gun correctly. 250mm, 40lb, mortar bomb?

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

I teamed one up with two 76mm Shermans and two Daimler AC's. While the Shermans hunted enemy armor the AC's watched the AVRE's back. I used my infantry to spot the in a town and then position the AVRE for the kill. I decimated 6 infantry squads this way (2 full platoons) and killed of 2 AT guns that were in the blast radius. In some situations with the right support troops the AVRE can be quite deadly.

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

The AVRE is kinda like the allied Jagdtiger. It's hard to use effectively but when it is used effectively... It's not so good in the upper point level meeting engagements but in the lower point attacks an AVRE is a good tank for the price and it's virtually guaranteed to kill a bunker first hit. Too bad it can't take HE rounds though smile.gif. Anyone know if any AVRE's were ever equipped with HE?