Question to BTS Staff

I have a PIII 600 w/256 RAM and a Diamond Viper 770 Ultra/32MB video card. I still use a Nanao FlexScan T2-17 (.26 dot) which I paid around $1,200 for in 1996. CM seems to run reasonably well for me even in large scenarios/operations. Is CM2 going to be more taxing on hardware, ar about the same? Also: Would CM look that much better with the latest ultra Nvidia card (at around $400)? What system requirements do you recommend to enjoy CM to the fullest?

I also heard that Nvidia is coming out with another card that will take advantage of DX 8.0, and that I should wait until that comes out. If any gamers are reading, what are your thoughts? I was trying to decide on how to best allocate my resources (I was thinking of a new 19 or 21" monitor first, although this monitor is still pretty good for a 17"). I'm not sure how much longer I'll be enjoying the full benefits of the latest games with a PIII 600 and a 32mb video.

Guest Big Time Software

Hi there,

Yes, CM2 will be more taxing on the hardware. However, since you already have a system that is well above our specs now it is more than likely that it will not feel too taxed by the improvements. Remember, a very large portion of our CM base is still using PII systems with 16MB video cards. Next year the folks with last year's systems will be our new low end. The people with systems from 2-3 years ago will most likely have to update in another year anyway, so they will either be CM's new mid or high end users.

Steve

Hi,

Just to chime in here, in case anyones's interested: I recently upgraded my monitor to KDS 19" Perfectly Flat Avitron. It blew me away; the tube is a trinitron, and this Flat screen technology is a BIG improvement-absolutely no glare. Beautiful, crystal clear, hi-rest picture. Cm is great on it. KDS is a top notch Korean company with excellent support (if you have a problem they will immediately exchange for a new monitor). It was much less costly than say a Viewsonic. Anyway, for what it's worth....

Just my thoughts, but the money in a bigger montor will pay off, given your current system, more than the latest video card, or a faster CPU. Going to 21 inch or above is really great! And you can fully enjoy the output you're getting now from that card (I have the same one)and the PIII! The new mods, etc. really shine at higher res and a big screen.

Do they make a flat screen in a 21"? If so, what's the going rate? I wanted to buy the best 17" monitor when I bought my P133 back in '86, and it's still with me today with my PIII 600. It was definitely worth the extra money spent. In regards to the video: Do you think the Diamond 770 ultra still holds its own? Or is it eclipsed by the newest Nvidia cards?

Of course the new nVidia technology is faster with new features and much more RAM (DDR at that). But the thing is . . . do you happen to have a use for all that video resource? The answer here is no. I run a modest (by today's state of the art) Diamond Viper V770 yet I have no problem with the games I play, and at higher resolutions. But then I'm not into software that demands high frame rates. If I played flight simulations or FPS then maybe a GeForce2 would be the way to go.