Infantry area fire supression, any use?

Anyone find any use for area fire using infantry when you can clearly see the enemy troops? I find that even though the manual states that area fire hit an area rather than the pinpoint accuracy shown in the ingame graphic but it seems that it has little effect (won't even supress them) unless fired at less than 1m next to the enemy troops. (Sometimes I think that they actually use the pinpoint accuracy shown in the engine)

At that range its better to target the enemy unit since you get the bonus of inflicting damage and faster supression.

I wish that the infantry would shoot randomly around the area fire target but they seem to be excellent marksmen and shoot at the same spot all the time, even if enemy troops are marching 3m away.

Guest Madmatt

IIRC Area fire affects an area of roughly 20-25 meters radius out from the targeting marker.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Area fire is very helpful with artillery spotters. If their LOS cannot lock onto a specific enemy target, then area fire is still effective in suppressing the bad guys, certainly better than trying to move the spotter...