BUG? Miss of 10m explodes 75 pillbox? Bug or bad luck?

Sherman 105 fires at my 75 pillbox and hits a slope in front of it. It is a miss of 10 meters. But at the point when 105 shell hits the ground my pillbox exploded and is on fire. (I got pictures to prove it - even 10 meter distance, I measured it with another teams "distance to target")

Is this a bug? Did the shell actually hit the pillbox but it was not displayed correctly? There was no "Hit - penetration" message.

This might be a cool feature I don't know about and just plain bud luck? It feels impropable that pillbox would explode...

(Please no flame wars this time)

Well, somtething like that happened to me too. I had my bunker in some scattered trees and the shell missed the bunker but landed in the scattered trees setting them ablaze which forced the troops inside to bail. So it may have been from the fire whch forced them to bail from the bunker.

------------------

You are probably right when you say that the shell actually hit the pillbox, but is not displayed "correctly". BTS has explained this in the past. It has something to do with the software "averaging" the results to speed up the display. You might find the actual thread to which I'm referring if you do a search under "display".

Sorry, I missed that point in your initial post. Hmmm...guess that shoots the "graphics averaging" theory in the foot. The only other explanation I might pose would be that the crew panicked. I've had a bunker crew do that in the midst of an artillery barrage (can't remember which bunker anymore - all the battles start to blur together after a while! The HORROR!). Any possibility that this happened to your crew?

Had something similar happen the other day to my Panther in VoT. My "friend" decided to bombard my reinforcement entry point (which is OK since we basically play "no holds barred"). I knew this would happen so had the Panther moving fast from the get go. Thought I was out of trouble and pulled up behind the edge of the hill near there and popped one of his Shermans. 105's start landing soon thereafter and one of the last rounds in the turn lands at least 20-30 meters away, tank instantly immobilized. I even turned off the tanks to see if there was a shell crater right under the tank or something but there wasn't. I just chalked it up to bad luck and shrapnel that must have flown into side of tank and damaged a track.

Mikester out.

Maybe one of the soldiers dropped his cigarette (smoking endangeres your health smile.gif ) cause of that unexpected shell frightening him ?

*just a joke*

But the situation you described happened to me too with a 105mm barrage. And I think it's just the effect of collateral damage those grenades do (hot shrapnel, setting woods on fire etc)

murx

Guest Big Time Software

It is indeed shrapnel going into the firing slit, but there's a bug in the demo which allows this to happen too often and do too much damage. It's been fixed in the v1.01 patch.

Charles