Bovington Tank Museum: info requests?

hi there from the organiser type guy of the london mission to Bovington biggrin.gif

I would like to go and get some great photos and info for all you people out there, and you lot at BTS as well. Any requests?

If we came up with a list of info you lot want we might be able to get some special access to some of these tanks, get inside, drive 'em around, fire off a few rounds wink.gif I reckon if I had the tiger and Germanboy in a tank i'd have 'im biggrin.gif

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Bovington has a huge collection of tanks and vehicles from WW2, do you lot have any info requests?

PeterNZ

I just spent a weekend in Aberdeen at the Proving Grounds and took about 3600 digital photographs of every single tank, and gun. A lot of the photos are to be stitched together to make 360 deg. Quicktime panorama movies and Quictime VR objects, where you can rotate a tank on your screen. Here is a link to a couple objects and VR pans I am showing the proving grounds to help them with their informational kiosk and web site.

http://www.karchfamily.com/aberdeen/index.htm

I'll post my whole site as soon as I have the time to organize all the photos. Let me know if you are interested in the VR objects and I'll let you know how to take the pictures. I'd be more than happy to create the VR pans or objects for you.

scott karch

scottandwendy@mac.com

I'm going to be in Europe and Britain for the last couple of weeks of October. Me and a buddy plan on getting to both the Imperial War Museum and Bovington (depends on how much military crap his wife can stand).

I'll try to post digital pics too if I get any.

-dale

Thanks for the ideas smile.gif

The rotating panorama things are a great idea, would love to learn how!

PeterNZ

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hamsters Wrote:

PeterNZ: He hasn’t proven to be particularly valiant but I think he’d make a good doorman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I make both the VR panoramas and VR objects using Apple's Quicktime VR authoring studio and some work using Live Picture's PhotoVista panorama program (mac/win). Apple is releasing some new Quicktime VR software that will allow better spherical representation rather than cylindircal. This will allow really wide angle lenses or fish eye lenses set inside a tank turret to create spherical panoramas so you can see all the way around in a turret or tank interior. I'll keep you posted, or email me and I'll help you get VRs and panoramas made.

Scott

Guest machineman

Some hot topics here have been what differences there were between the 88mm L56 and the 88mm L71 shells, and how German spotting and targeting optics compared to Allied one. Maybe you could look through a few sights or a WWII issue German pair of binoculars vs an Allied pair?

Personally I think the Panther and Tiger turret rotation, which AFAIK is still modelled at engine idle, should be modelled at full rpm (doubling their speed), but think it would be extremely unlikely you'd see a operating version there. But if pigs fly and you do, time one, will you?