What does hi-res mean?

When talking mods you guys keep throwing out terms like hi-res. To me, hi-res means high resolution, as in 1024x768 vs. 800x600. Which means that the .bmp file is larger for hi-res. Is that what it means? If so, why would that slow down your vid card (assuming you have enough vid memory to hold all the textures that is)?

It doesn't mean 32-bit does it? Because Steve said that CM is 16-bit, so I can't see how a 32-bit .bmp would gain anything visually.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

As a related question, I'm wondering how the hi-res mods are made?

Given that you start out with a particular set of textures at a certain res. How do you increase the resolution from that? It seems like you're adding detail where there wasn't any before...

Tiger, anyone? A little explanation as to what process yields a 'hi-res' texture?

ianc

Read my Madmatt Mod Guide (in my 3rd Party Mods page) as I go into detail about what exactly Hi-Res means.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Ah, hell. I am feeling generous;

Hi-Res Confusion:

If you are confused about Low-res and Hi-Res textures it only applies to the size of the TEXTURE, not your screen resolution! If a texture is listed as Hi-Res it will be a little SLOWER on your system than a normal (low-res texture). What that means is that you can run the Low-Res version of the MDMP grass at high screen resolutions and in fact many people do. You can also run the Hi-Res grass in 800x600 mode for example. It only describes the texture size, nothing else. Think of Low-res as default and Hi-Res as more detailed but potentially slower, depending on your system speed and video card.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing