Will I ever be able to play the game without lockups?

Please help me out,I've posted an sos on the tech help section,but just in case you are the genius who is going to earn my undying gratitude by helping me to play this amazing game,without weeping bitter tears of rage every 5 mins or so,and you werent intending to visit that page,well,please do so.PLEASE help me out,someone,anyone?(Does that make any sense?)

I'm no tech genius, but some basic system information would be a big help.

OK, saw your specs in the Tech forum. I'm stumped. Perhaps the full version with latest patch will work OK.

Good luck.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

[This message has been edited by Daveman (edited 09-11-2000).]

With our college PCs, whenever we load a new peice of software, we generally erase the whole hard drive and load everything again. Sounds crazy, but your PC could have a virus, corrupt DLLs, a schizzy registry, an old set of Active-X shared files, corrupt Active-X pref files, or a dozen other things. The registry is the most common, as it slowly degrades over time like bad cheese and needs to be rebuilt.

So, try erasing the whole shooting match, saving your documents to a backup. On my Dell it takes 8-14 to burn it down and then get everything back on, but I am rewarded with 3 months of flawless activity.

Guest KwazyDog

Crepitis, someone mentioned this in the other thread and Ill mention it again......HEAT wink.gif

Ive just got myself a 900mhz thunderbird chip and one thing I can tell you is that these things get hot, very hot. The part of your problems that sends of warning bells too look into heat is the fact that you said you often get a dozen or so turns into the game before a lock up.

Yesterday I had the same problems you are experiencing, which I thought was strange as I upgraded my system last week and hadnt yet has a problem. Then it occured to me that all those games had been played during the night, thus were probably played at a lower temperature.

Thus, I installed a program that came with my motherbard (MSI, different to your unfortuantely) which monitors heat of both system and CPU and found that in general my system was sitting at 49 degrees celcius (rather hot smile.gif). I watched it whilst playing CM and it got up to 55 degrees and then the problems began smile.gif Firstly the graphics started to do funky things on my system, with the trees flashing on and off, hehe. Next, the game started generating fault PBEM files and finially it crashed to windows.

So what was the solution? In my case I opened my system and totally reworked the cable layout clearing the airways as much as possable. I then went and grabbed 2 case fans and wired them directly pointing at the CPU and aiding the flow of air through the case (most cases are designed to bring air in from the lower front and push it out the upper rear). The result is that now the system is running at around 42-43 degrees celcius standard and gets upto 50 in CM, with no lock ups.

Creptis, it seems to me that if your system is under warranty then you could be able to take it back to the place of purchase and let then have a look at it. If its heat then that should be there problem too to be honest, as they should have accounted for heat when your CPU is under load. I do know of people running CM fine on the V5500 card so I dont think that is the problem to be honest, although I am running a Geforce 2 card so there may be stability problems between the thunderbird and voodoo, I wouldnt know.

The good news is that the Thunderbird chip seems to be a very nice processor for CM. Compared to a similarly clocked intel processor here where I currently work the Thunderbird crunches the turns out around 25-35% faster.

I think its safe to say that your system should be able to run CM just fine, its a matter of finding what is causing you the problems, and I think heat is definately worth looking at.....

Good luck mate wink.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 09-11-2000).]