Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

88mm effectiveness?

Guest Germanboy

But as most weapons in the game - don't bet your life (or defensive position) on it. In a beta demo PBEM I had a 88 fire 6 or 7 times at a W+ Sherman at about 6-700 metres (this was in Riesberg) and produce but ricochets... Poo happens in the game as it does in real life.

God - Riesberg, the memories...

------------------

Andreas

Never played CC.

You were certainly having a bad day at Reisberg- I bounced a few myself, but the 88s generally got the job done, at least before the arty came down, or the other Shermies got the bead on me.

Now Chance Encounter... I hope I never see that little church again. Or that woods. Though it was fun while it lasted. Last Defense was always my favorite.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Now Chance Encounter... I hope I never see that little church again. Or that woods. Though it was fun while it lasted. Last Defense was always my favorite.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh - Last Defense. I still remember annihilating two PBEM opponents playing the US myself. And yes, if I never have to see that church again, I'll die a happy man.

------------------

Andreas

Just finished up a game with 3 88's (2 flaks and a pak) and they're good as long as they hit. DanielH had a minor gripe about their inability to hit which I personally second. What surprised me though was how expertly the AI took out the pak 88. It reversed out a Stuart and a Sherm from it's lane of fire and waited some turns on arty. Result, dead 88. Brilliant. Other games would've assaulted it head on.

Wonder how they've programmed it. Read about some developers giving games AI based on realistic laws and needs (hunger, sleep, physics etc) and voila the game surprises even the developers. Does stuff realistically and they haven't even thought about it.

IN CM, 88s are very susceptible to mortars and artillery cool.gif; once it is spotted, it is usually dead meat fairly fast. I have never lost more than one tank yet to an 88. Tanks can take it out fairly easily, if the 88 doesn;t hit the tank first.

One reason is that an 88 gun is rarely more than a few hundred meters away because of the scale of this game. It probably could be more effective if larger maps with fields of view of a couple of km were available.

Another reason is that the relative power of an 88 is much less in 1944 than it was in the desert in 1942... frown.gif

Henri