looking, but also more realistic.

I saw the screenshots of the improved

smoke clouds. The same effects, with

a different color, could be used for

dust clouds.

That would make artillery impacts

and building colapses really cool.

Guest Madmatt

Buildings which collapse have a pretty cool 'disturbance' shockwave which expands outward from the intial area of collapse and disapates much like the muzzle blasts from main guns, but I am not sure if the LOS penalty for this 'cloud' of debris and dust is modeled or not.

Artillery impacts have a much greater amount of dirt and debris thrown up now than in the demo and in a POTD from a long time ago I showed some US infantry running with them dwarfed by explosions all around and debris filling the screen. AWESOME...

To add the ambient amount of battlefield haze and smoke that you asked about would be a HUGE frame rate killer though. But I think you will be happy with the treatment that both arty and collapsing buildings get.

Madmatt

dogred3tn.jpg

p.s. The full version is available in our POTD Archive gallery (In the Archives area) and the picture is dated 1-24-00! biggrin.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 03-24-2000).]

• 1 month later...
Guest ciril

Hello all,

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to picture the influence of dust in a battle of mechanized forces. Dust can reveal your position long before your physical appearance (I think it was in Robin Neilland's "Desert Rats" where I read of the "Go slow - dust brings shells" sign they put up in Normandy). Therefore, it would be somewhat inconsistent to include sound as a position giveaway but not dust.

Second, dust blocks LOS of course. Applies in many situations.

Ciril Rozic

Guest ciril

Hi panzerschreck,

Is it unusual to post into 2 month old threads? I'm new to this foruml; although I've skimmed it before I haven't had time to write.

Ciril

Guest Big Time Software

We'll give "dust" a very serious look if/when we take CM into North Africa. It's a pretty major issue on a hot desert battlefield.

Less so in France/Germany though. Plus, as MadMatt said, showing all the dust clouds on a battlefield would send even your 1GHz CPU + Voodoo5 home crying to its momma at 1 FPS. smile.gif So the short answer is that hardware just isn't up to the task yet. But hopefully it will continue to get faster and faster and let us simulate even more than we do now.

Charles

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Ciril,

Actually, it is unusual but not wrong to post to an old thread. I sometimes get a feeling of dejavu for a second, the I realize that I have in fact seen the thread before wink.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

We'll give "dust" a very serious look if/when we take CM into North Africa. It's a pretty major issue on a hot desert battlefield.

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dust... North Africa... Pardon while I laugh maniacally. Or is that giggle hysterically?

In any case, I pray that computer technology has advanced far enough by the time the CM3 arrives on the scene so that we'll have a good dust model in the game.

Sound contacts, dust contacts... I look forward to the game.

Wrapping a scarf around my face and pulling my goggles down to keep the dust off...

-Lurker

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Oh, com'on. I wanna see the tanks throw up mud clods as they rumble across muddy terrain. wink.gif That would be helli-cool! biggrin.gif

hnh3_cm said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>How about mirages? biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that's not a silly question. The mirage effect on the horizon actually can hide enemy vehicles on what otherwise would be the skyline of the flat, boring (sorry, couldn't resist) desert terrain. Thus, they can get fairly close to you before you see them.

In fact, in the Gulf War, we discovered that you could hang some bright lights on your vehicle to enhance the effect. The glare of these lights made you blend in with the mirage background, so you'd remain hidden at even closer ranges.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm