Can you move units around in a building?

I have noticed a difficulty in placing units in the correct part of a building for them to be effective.

For example in CE I had 2 US rifle squads in the lower floor of the big building (church?)acting as defence for the .50 cal mg that I had on the top floor. AHa! thinks I, I got you germans now, a nice supressing fire from our pal with the M/G, a Sherman on either side of the church and under cover of all this I figure I can move my squads forward for a little hand to hand. But wait!, old mate with the M/G has no LOS, even from the top floor! Clicking on him indicates he is positioned at the rear of the top floor probably waving hello to his friends still moving up from the start off point.

It seems I couldn't move him over to the windows facing the enemy to do his job.

Guys, am I doing something wrong here?

Herr Stuka, from what angle are you looking at you units when you plot? I find that for finer moving and exact positioning in buildings 5 (directly overhead) works best. I can place them in the spot I want. if i try to plot in other views , at least while in buildings, i tend to get mixed results and can have a hard time getting the guys in the right spot...

that's about all I can contribute. Hope it helps.

Peng

------------------

Peng sez "die a lot now."

Or you can try view #2 and get an angle where you can see the unit and the bottom floor of the building. (This assumes you already have the unit within the building.) Then when you plot the move, the system plots it to the bottom floor. Now say you want your MG unit in the top floor's corner--plot the waypoint to the bottom floor's corner and then the "Floor selector" window comes up and then select "Top floor". This will move the in-progress movement line to the top floor corner.

It's really an easy concept, but if you haven't figured out in-building movement yet, then it is a bit confusing. wink.gif

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

Make sure there is room for everyone to look out the same window.

Each wall semms to be able to give LOS to around one squad with a couple individual teams or leaders.

If you order to many sqauds to the same wall for LOS, one of them will move to the back of the building automatically. Almost like they are cowering.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

You can try and break the windows to give better view, or open the door downstairs.

He he, only kidding. I found that you can only get 2 units on each floor in the corners with good field of fire, any other units will move back into the center with no line of sight to the outside world. I keep it to 2 units per floor maximum. Smaller building can hold less.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Thanks guys, those suggestions should be a big help.

I feel so responsible for my troops, it's kind of depressing when they die because of a foul-up on my part.

Typical stuka eh? Slow, defenceless and only brave in large groups!!

Guest aka PanzerLeader

And I take this as an opportunity to ask a question that has been in the back of my head since the CC series.

Sorry if the question is foolish, but why is it that infantry can enter a building from anywhere? Doors and windows don't seem to be modelled properly...Or should I assume that the building has no walls? Or does the infantry blast a hole on its way in?(seems a bit too quick though!!)

I am puzzled. If anybody has a hint, pliz help.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka PanzerLeader:

And I take this as an opportunity to ask a question that has been in the back of my head since the CC series.

Sorry if the question is foolish, but why is it that infantry can enter a building from anywhere? Doors and windows don't seem to be modelled properly...Or should I assume that the building has no walls? Or does the infantry blast a hole on its way in?(seems a bit too quick though!!)

I am puzzled. If anybody has a hint, pliz help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your asking a little to much for infantry to open doors on buildings and file in one by one.

Thats like asking to see them go up and down the stairs in 2 story buildings or open the window before shooting out of it.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Buildings are modeled abstractly in CM.

I'm just guessing here, but the vibes I get from S&C are that building enhancement will be THE biggest new feature added to CM2. Or at least it will be what is looked at first of all the possible features to add/upgrade.

Jason

(note new e-mail address in profile)

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK