Run damn you! RUN!

Just have to get something off my chest here.

Why oh why can't a light mg gunner run.

As a reason i think i saw Fionn write somewhere that you should try running with an mg on yer shoulder and a supply of ammo in yer hands.

Although i get the point, i'd have to say it doesnt work that way. I tried to tell my sergeant this when i was told to carry our squads mg (i'm in the military unfortunately), but he told me to carry it anyway. A light mg squad consists of 2 men, 1 for the gun, 1 for the ammo. And i'd have to say it is very possible to make a dash for it while carrying an mg. Ok, you feel pretty crappy under the weight, but if it can be done in training, you sure as hell can while being shot at from several directions! Then there's the heavy mg...heavier weapon..more ammo...but also a crew of 5!

So BTS...if you guys have a spare moment please fill me in on this, cos i really don't get the non-running mg's. It might be a great idea to make the mg's tire faster because of the weight..but you know what i would do under fire while carrying an mg? I'd run my little legs off!!!!

------------------

And remember kids....dressing up like Hitler in school, is NOT cool!

Actually I was referring to HEAVY MACHINEGUNS ( such as the 0.5 cal etc).

IMO LMGs ( such as the LMG42 team in CM) SHOULD be able to run ( using the same system as schrecks and zooks whereby they just get tired very quickly.

BEWARE of misquoting or quoting out of context.. I was referring to believing that HMG teams should just walk everywhere. I think LMG teams are fair game for running though.

As for the HMGs ( well, there's a LOT more ammo and a LOT more bulk involved than with LMG teams which is why I think they really couldn't run except for maybe a ten yard dash or something like that ( which is too small to be in the scale of CM IMO).

If i offended you, i'm sorry Fionn....but i did not quote anything...just mentioned i thought i'd saw you writing something about that somewhere...didn't even know for sure if it was you anymore.

Could've sworn i had some light mg's walking the other day..if i'm wrong, i stand corrected.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ubermac:

Could've sworn i had some light mg's walking the other day..if i'm wrong, i stand corrected.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You saw right. LMG teams don't run. And also I agree they should.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

You saw right. LMG teams don't run. And also I agree they should.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if they are real Germans, IMO...

Please note that all smilies on this iMac died of exhaustion after their drill sergeant made them run for two miles with an HMG.

------------------

Andreas

Ubermac, I agree with ya!! LMG teams should be able to run. Have done so with an M-60 myself from time to time...although the barf isnt great for the gun, you can haul ass if needed. wink.gif I think what BTS ought to do in the distant future is model the LMS gun crew so you have some big burly guy carrying the gun and a little guy burdened with 8 boxes of ammo, the tripod, and the spare barrel bag,,,isnt that how it works? biggrin.gif

Guest Michael emrys

I'm a little fuzzy about what is being modeled in an LMG unit. If it's an MG42, is it on a bipod or a tripod? If it's on a bipod, I assume it's the same weight as the squad weapon, and they run with the rest of the squad in the game (with no special penalty). Same thing with a Bren gun in British/Commonwealth service.

The American Brownings are a different matter.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I'm a little fuzzy about what is being modeled in an LMG unit. If it's an MG42, is it on a bipod or a tripod?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say it has to be bipod. I don't think they had LMG's with tripod.

What would be the point in it?

And was it something like 25 ammo points, that's something like

250 shots, right?