Does CM Model Hedgerow Busting Techniques?

I have read that the Americans developed specific techniques to deal with the hedgerows in Normandy. Specifically it involved :

1) Having an engineer squad blast a hole through a hedgerow sufficient for a tank to move through

2) The tank moves through the edge of the hole and supporting MG teams move up to provide suppressing fire.

3) The infantry pass through the hole and attacks along the edges of the hedgrow.

4) Repeat

My question is, will engineer squads be able to blast holes through the hedgerows? I think such capablility would enhance modeling hedgerow fighting and allow for realistic tactics.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith:

I have read that the Americans developed specific techniques to deal with the hedgerows in Normandy. Specifically it involved :

1) Having an engineer squad blast a hole through a hedgerow sufficient for a tank to move through

2) The tank moves through the edge of the hole and supporting MG teams move up to provide suppressing fire.

3) The infantry pass through the hole and attacks along the edges of the hedgrow.

4) Repeat

My question is, will engineer squads be able to blast holes through the hedgerows? I think such capablility would enhance modeling hedgerow fighting and allow for realistic tactics.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you do a search? I think this one has been discussed quite extensinvely. If you want to read up on it, Michael Doubler's 'Closing with the enemy' is the book to go for.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

Guest Madmatt

"Death Traps" also has some interesting comments on the whole subject from some of the guys that MOUNTED the 'INSERT HORNED ANIMAL NAME HERE' onto Allied armored units...

Great book too by the way...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-08-2000).]

From what I remember from various books (sources are at home), there were several techniques that were developed by both the Americans and British for dealing with bocage. Most of these were unit-specific.

The one you describe was relatively effective, but it was found that if was to be replicated theater-wide the amount of explosives needed would prohibitive.

The technique that was most widely (and successfully) used was field modifying AFVs with steel rams that would allow the tanks to penetrate the bocage.

I believe (and as mentioned above you should search) that CM models this by allowing allied tanks to move trough hedgerow terrain while other vehicles can't.

One of the points of Doubler's book is that there was no "one" theater-wide solution to the bocage. Individual units and teams came up with their own solutions, and some of them caught on.

One that was used a lot, was two steel pipes welded on the front of the tank. The tank rammed the earthen base of the hedge and backed away. Engineers then stuffed explosive into the deep holes made by the pipes (they even pre-stuffed the explosives into expended 105 cases to facilitate this) and blew the hedge.