Sturmkompanies

The squads have half again as many men as "usual" german squad.

Armament is also heavy. Both increase cost.

I can't say much about their effectiveness, however. I tend to go

with the cheaper ones. And I don't much appreciate flamethrowers.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

I don't mind the whole company, but I could live without the flamethrowers. If that's the way it was, then it was (I have no idea). They don't seem to bring much to the party for the points expended, however.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you are talking about Sturmkompanies. They come with 3 sturm platoons, 2 mg42 hmgs, and 2 81mm mortars. The individual squads have 13 men including 2xlmg and 3xmp44. There is some serious firepower in there. For an infantry battle you can't ask for anything more.

John

Actually, Fallschirmjaeger, Gebirgsjaeger, and Volksgrenadier SMG platoons all field more firepower than a Sturmm platoon --- and with fewer men.

I think the reason you can't buy a Sturmm platoon is that the Sturmme Kompannie was an distinct organizational grouping designed for heavy assault (hence the over-strength squads). Not the sort of thing that would be fielded in platoon size elements.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von Lucke:

Actually, Fallschirmjaeger, Gebirgsjaeger, and Volksgrenadier SMG platoons all field more firepower than a Sturmm platoon --- and with fewer men.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they do --- in the 40m range. That's a little to close to satchel charge range for me. The Fallschirmjaeger are a great but the other two rely too much on the mp40 for my taste. If you are sweeping a city they are nice but for that good old country fighting I find my shooting usually starts to get serious in the 100-150m range. Plus when it does come time for butts and bayonets I find that the extra manpower really helps out the sturmgruppe.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Erickson:

I don't think you are talking about Sturmkompanies. They come with 3 sturm platoons, 2 mg42 hmgs, and 2 81mm mortars<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have the game here, but I'll check when I get home. Perhaps it depends on the timeframe (Sep-Dec 44)? There is definitely a Wehrmacht Sturmkompanie configuration with flamethrowers.