Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

120mm FO's & lack of smoke

I just had an interesting experience when I tried to use my German 120mm Mortar F.O. to fire smoke with 2 turns to go in the game. The F.O. was commencing a normal barrage the turn before (1 spotting round only had fallen) and I decided on the second to last turn that smoke was more important for my final rush at the VL. When I went to choose smoke as an option it didn't exist!

Surely BTS aren't so clever to include the inability to have your off board mortar teams change to smoke rounds with only 2 turns left? I was simply going to retarget an area within the green line parameters so the delay in the smoke falling (if I could order it) would only have been around 20 to 30 secs. Has anybody else noticed this peculiarity when reaching the end of a game or is it just the Ge. 120 mm mortar F.O's? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards

Jim R.

Actually, Jim R., I didn't know either. I just went into the editor and looked up the Axis 120 FO. After posting a while ago, I went back into the editor and it looks to me like no off board artillery has smoke capabilities.

Kinda off topic here, but, I would love to see the Axis have a Railroad Gun FO smile.gif

(and I'm talking about a BIG one, like a 38cm or 80cm)

------------------

"Hey,Kenny. Whatever happened to Jody?"

[This message has been edited by Texas (edited 12-02-2000).]

Hmmm. Never noticed this before. Guess I don't use smoke as much as I should. smile.gif

The German 120mm mortars, 170mm, 210mm, 210mm rocket, 240mm, and 300mm rocket don't have smoke. The rest (including the 150mm rocket) do.

The American 4.2in mortar, 4.5in, 8in How, 8in Gun, 240mm, and 14in Naval don't have smoke.

And the Brit 4.5in, 5.5in, 5.5in VT, 7.2in, and 14in Naval don't have smoke.

In the editor, you can't select how many smoke shells an FO has because they're not a separate ammo for an FO (atleast not according to CM - there was discussion about this a ways back, but I don't remember how it went; you'd have to search). You can call for smoke any time you want, but your number of HE shells decreases as you use it for smoke instead.

- Chris

Thanks Wolfe. I always have my FO call in HE strikes. Never tried smoke! I don't use smoke very often. When I did it was from a unit on the map. Mortars mostly. Again, thanks.

------------------

"Hey,Kenny. Whatever happened to Jody?"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfe:

The American 4.2in mortar, 4.5in, 8in How, 8in Gun, 240mm, and 14in Naval don't have smoke.

- Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is odd, because IIRC, 4.2 inch mortars were so called 'chemical' mortarts. While they made fine bombardment weapons, they were actually designed to drop smoke. I guess that the powers that be did not want any confusion. Dropping mustard gas instead of WP could get real ugly.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.