CMBO Patch

Yeah, I would too (pay for it), but as I understand it, based on other posts here, there are no plans to upgrade it. I wish they would consider it as they may have a couple of classics running here in CMBO and CMBB that would become ongoing revenue generators as each previous version would be a selling point for the following version. I started out in the 70's with Panzer Blitz, then moved to Panzer Leader, then onto ASL. It is becoming fairly clear to me that these types of sims (first board, now more computer) are around to stay, and as Microsoft does with Flight Simulator (upgrades about every 2 years), each new release of an "old" product takes advantage of new techniques and lessons learned from the previous versions. This in turn gives us "old" guys reasons to buy the newer versions, and also brings new people in. The reputation gained from that, in turn adds to the reputation of the sim, and that generates further new business. Now there aren't many companies and many games/sims that could pull that off simply because they (and I apologise for the bluntness of this) just aren't good enough to begin with. However, the makers of CMBO and CMBB are, and their games are (never sure if these are games or sims), and the basic premise/concept is, so I personally think it would be worth their while to exploit this. It is a tremendous amount of work to keep these games updated without a doubt, and it does take away from new projects, but my feeling (and all of this is strictly my own personal beliefs/opinions) is that they would find it both financially and "reputationally" rewarding. There is a lot they could add to the basic game over the years, not the least of which would be expanding into North Africa and such, but even just the computer technological advances that these fellows seem to be particularly adept at exploiting, would be enough to revisit each game a number of times.

Anyway, sorry for the editorial, but I thought I'd use the opportunity of this post to bring this up once again.

Best,

Glenn

[Edit - PS - one only needs to look at the number of posts asking about an upgrade to see just how popular this title is, and would continue to be through several versions over the years]

[ February 05, 2003, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

Originally posted by Glenn:

Yeah, I would too (pay for it), but as I understand it, based on other posts here, there are no plans to upgrade it. I wish they would consider it as they may have a couple of classics running here in CMBO and CMBB that would become ongoing revenue generators as each previous version would be a selling point for the following version. I started out in the 70's with Panzer Blitz, then moved to Panzer Leader, then onto ASL. It is becoming fairly clear to me that these types of sims (first board, now more computer) are around to stay, and as Microsoft does with Flight Simulator (upgrades about every 2 years), each new release of an "old" product takes advantage of new techniques and lessons learned from the previous versions. This in turn gives us "old" guys reasons to buy the newer versions, and also brings new people in. The reputation gained from that, in turn adds to the reputation of the sim, and that generates further new business. Now there aren't many companies and many games/sims that could pull that off simply because they (and I apologise for the bluntness of this) just aren't good enough to begin with. However, the makers of CMBO and CMBB are, and their games are (never sure if these are games or sims), and the basic premise/concept is, so I personally think it would be worth their while to exploit this. It is a tremendous amount of work to keep these games updated without a doubt, and it does take away from new projects, but my feeling (and all of this is strictly my own personal beliefs/opinions) is that they would find it both financially and "reputationally" rewarding. There is a lot they could add to the basic game over the years, not the least of which would be expanding into North Africa and such, but even just the computer technological advances that these fellows seem to be particularly adept at exploiting, would be enough to revisit each game a number of times.

Anyway, sorry for the editorial, but I thought I'd use the opportunity of this post to bring this up once again.

Best,

Glenn

[Edit - PS - one only needs to look at the number of posts asking about an upgrade to see just how popular this title is, and would continue to be through several versions over the years]

Thanks Glenn for the in-depth. I just retired so I'm fairly new to wargames, but find myself playing BO and BB the most. I've played most of the newer PC wargames form East Front 2 on up. A couple of Matrixs' games are good, but I just cant stand playing a complex game without a printed manual. It's a phobia.

Originally posted by Ralph Beaman:

I would pay for an upgrade also, but i heared that big time software is done with CMBO. I wonder if someone has a disk with the CMMOS mod upgrades as a shareware? I recently just started playing CMBO again after a long bout with CMBB and it took a while for my eyes to readjust to the graphics of CMBO.

Yup, and though the interface is similar, they're not exact, and that makes playing both games a pain. If they were convined they could make some money on an upgrade patch, they would probably relent. Why not?

IIMU BFC are moving to a complete engine rewrite of the CM engine once the final patch for CMBB has been delivered. Because of this, they will not be updating CMBO. Since they are resource constrained, they can either work on making some minor updates to a perfectly playable, yet several years old engine with no future, or work on a new, all-singing, all-dancing engine for future editions of CM.

My guess is that you would have to offer them an awful lot of money to make them get back to CMBO, probably enough to guarantee their retirement and the college funds for the kids.

Ahh, Andreas, does this mean they may re-do both CMBO/CMBB as a whole new game (but same period/style), or do you believe they may move on to another arena and/or era? Interesting thought, but I see your point. I just happen to really like the "Squad Leader" concept that they've done so well, especially for the WWII period. I rather (selfishly) hope they stick to that in this 3D concept.

One thing I hope no one took away from my post is that I'm complaining about the games in any way. They are really outstanding and I enjoy them thoroughly.

Thanks,

Glenn

Just think of CMBO now and CMBB in 2 years as a relic you sometimes play to remind you of the good ol’ days. For some reasons it’s nice to be able to fall back to something even though it’s a whole different experience than playing the new deal.

Mies