Could a friendly soul .......

Hello everyone, I have been around for the last months, hiding in the shadows, checking this forum a couple of times every day.

I can only agree with most of you, What an amazing game. I am writing because I need to get something cleared out. As I don´t know enough (read anything) about LAN and TCP/IP, what I would like to know is simple this. Is it possible to play H-2-H using a Null modem cable? After reading all about TCP/IP and LAN written here I am under the impression that it is not possible!

------------------

- Mike -

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mki69:

what I would like to know is simple this. Is it possible to play H-2-H using a Null modem cable? After reading all about TCP/IP and LAN written here I am under the impression that it is not possible!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is not possible to use a null modem connection.

The good news is that a NIC (Network Interface Card) can be had for about $20. Make sure you get a PCI card, it makes install a snap. Get a couple of them and a roll over cable (Cat5) and connect the two. Then just set up your network in Windows.

No, no H2H over a null modem cable, becuase null modem cables do not use TCP/IP. Note that TCP/IP play will not work over most home networks(win9x peer to peer), which communicate using netBUI, not TCP/IP.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salatimus.

OK

If you have two Macs and they BOTH have ethernet ports, just use a cross over cable.

Forget that Null modem stuff

Why can't you form the VERY simplest computer Local Area Network, PC talk there.. (LAN) by using a cross over cable and linking two PC's directly to each other, NOT a normal ethernet cable a special purpose cross over cable.

Make up an IP for one cpu, enter it, let that unit host and then have the other one "find" that IP that is hosting on the other end of the cross over cable.

Between two Macs you can set that whole arrangement up in about 5 minutes.

But I'm not sure about the PC side of things.

-tom w