3D models

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Some day.. Some Day!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite true. I well remember playing Aces of the Pacific in the early 90's. The opening CGI movie had a nicely detailed P-38 zooming through realistic clouds and I clearly remember thinking, "before too long, that level of quality will be available in real time".

Well, that came true in the late 90's, with European Air War and several other flight sims (actually, what's now available is better!). It won't be too long before tactical wargames can achieve that level of realism (there'll always be a lag due to the higher number of models that ground wargames require over flight sims). It's something to look forward to, which CM has already given us an early taste of.

A toast to the future!

Wendell

Guest KwazyDog

Thanks for sharing the site Talon, that is some excellent quality work. Each of those models probably takes them 50-100 hours to build with that quality including texutres. They appear to be well researched too, camo and all.

As a general guide to when we will be able to see models like those in CM, Id guess that each one of their models *probably* has around 10 the amount of polygons in it as the ones in CM. Basically we could have one of those driving around the battlefield or 10 of ours for the general framerate. Looking forward to the day smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 07-15-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

As a general guide to when we will be able to see maodels like those in CM, Id guess that each one of their models *probably* has around 10 the amount of polygons in it as the ones in CM. Basically we could have one of those driving around the battlefield or 10 of ours for the general framerate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In addition to polygons, the rendering engine is obviously much

more sophisticated. Still, ten years max and we'll be there.

Hmm. by then all CM's in schedule should be done.

At the time, BTS could just start again from CM1 version 2.

Guest ACTOR

Nice post Talon. The pictures are incredible! It would be nice to have that kind of graphic quality, but I think using the technology we have today, it might takes weeks to finish a game with that kind of graphical quality. wink.gif

One day, it will look that way.

Wow! Incredible!

I remember being in a model-shop (aka hobby shop) one-day, talking to someone who worked there. We both thought that the computer animation technology being used in movies today should be used to make a movie about Kursk - imagine hundreds of those 3D models advancing across the Russian steppes!

A beautiful sight indeed..... smile.gif