Unit I.D.

Greetings gents,

I'd like to float a litle suggestion your way, tell me what you think.

A good while back i remember reading a thread on adding a feature that allows you to find certian units based on their I.D. (infantry, MGs, arty FOs, etc...)

The reason i brought this up is due to my experience in the last couple of games i've played, and the difficulty in finding certain units, especially in the very large battles.

Example: in a recent PBEM game i was desperatly looking for an arty FO that was uncommitted, and the method that i had to resort to had me thinking "there must be a better way".

This battle was particuarly vicious, with lots of units, burning vehicles, smoke, and the usual terrain obstructions. As a result i was forced to Shift-I (turn off smoke), Shift-T (turn off trees), Shift-B (turn on unit bases) and still root around 20-30 units until i found him (he had moved due to panicking from a too-close mortar round).

My suggstion is to "tweak" (for lack of a better word) the unit base feature to specify a units I.D.

Example:

Shift-B turn on/off all unit bases.

Shift-B-I turn on only infantry bases (squads & HQs)

Shift-B-F turn on only arty FOs

etc...

Now, i'll be the first to admit i know nothing about computer coding, and what i'm suggesting might not be possible, but if it is it wouldn't you think it'd be really helpful?

Consider, It's my understanding that Charles is now adjusting the purchase limit on units in DYO scenarios. We soon will be able to buy entire battalions. How much fun will it be to find 2 guys with binos in a unit numbering a thousand men, in a battle map the size of the Villers-bocage Op.

Don't be shy, tell me what you think wink.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

Yes,

Kingfish I agree with you greatly. I think this would be a really good idea. Ive come across the same problems as you. Maybe a window that lists all your units. And colours them (just like it colours them in teh unit "buy" screen, depending on wether its support, armor, infantry etc..) Then whichever unit you click the camera focuses on it.

Also another suggestion I had was a hot key to seeing the height of the terrain. This would be displayed by colours. Sort of like how some real maps use it. It would have "countours". Eg: If it was a simple map with a hill in the middle, when you press the hot key you would see the flat ground as blue, then as it gets higher it turns a shade of red, until at its highest hieght this game supports (19 i think) It would be bright red. That way you can turn it on, analyze the "hilliness" of the map then turn it off and get on with the battle smile.gif

------------------

¤§ïѤ

Kingfish Charles is NOT 'now adjusting the purchase limits on units in DYO scenarios' (I assume you mean Quick Battles). He has ALREADY done so. smile.gif

That change is in the 1.02 version (only on currently shipping CDs) And, yes, you can easily buy an entire battalion with the new 5000 point limit. And you'd be able to purchase a regiment, too, if you didn't hit the unit max.

Jason