2 quick questions

Pardon me if these are repeats but I did a quick search and didnt see these covered.

1) Can bridges be destroyed? In last defense, say as the Germans I want to destroy the bridge, can it be done (105mm, HE rounds, etc).

2) Camera control. In CM1 via patch or in the works for CM2, will there be a free controlled camera ala Myth? That is, one without preset magnification levels. One that would allow you to choose your exact zoom level as opposed to canned levels via keystroked zoom levels?

Thanks

TeAcH

Guest KwazyDog

Heya Teach wink.gif

1) Sure can smile.gif I believe I read somewhere aroung here that someone did a test and found that the stone bridge in the beta demo can be taken out with around 20 rounds from the Tiger, though Im not sure if thats changed since then. I remember a while back I was testing a scenario i was making with a bridge crossing. A fighter-bomber cruised in and mistook the British tanks on the bridge for German, not only taking out the units with his 500 pound bombs but also took out the damn brige, halting the advance perminantly, silly bugger. smile.gif

2) Ummm, not sure smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Yes to 1, not really to #2. The 8 camera positions can be modified by "tipping" the camera up/down or zooming in/out. There are certain assumptions that the code makes regarding camera angles so it is difficult to have it be completely free range. Not impossible mind you, but we didn't see the need so that isn't the way we went. What is it that you think is lacking in the current system? Honestly, I don't think anybody has asked for a infinte camera heights yet.

Steve

Thanks for the reply you two. To answer your question as to why I would like to see a free ranging camera, seemed like the norm nowadays in other games.

This is not to say that what CM does is bad at all. Far from that. I like the free ranging camera idea better is all. I also like what you all do too. I think the two modes (the current zoom levels and free ranging) could coexist quite easily. I'm no programmer, so from a implementation standpoint, I don't know how difficult this would be. Yes, I'd like to see the free ranging camera implented sometime down the road in a patch or cm2. I think it adds to the drama and cinematography of the whole battle. Honestly, if it never comes to be I won't be bothered in the slightest. I am quite impressed with this game and how you all have designed it. I talk it up to other computer gamers whenever I get the chance.

One thing more. Have you all bought rations and spent time training for the inevitable onslought of armed bands of wives who will surely hunt you all down for creating this game? A game that is gonna cause their husbands to be so transfixed on their computer monitors for days on end, that wives are sure to mount an offesive bent on revenge.

Thanks again,

TeAcH

Thanks for the reply you two. To answer your question as to why I would like to see a free ranging camera, seemed like the norm nowadays in other games.

This is not to say that what CM does is bad at all. Far from that. I like the free ranging camera idea better is all. I also like what you all do too. I think the two modes (the current zoom levels and free ranging) could coexist quite easily. I'm no programmer, so from a implementation standpoint, I don't know how difficult this would be. Yes, I'd like to see the free ranging camera implented sometime down the road in a patch or cm2. I think it adds to the drama and cinematography of the whole battle. Honestly, if it never comes to be I won't be bothered in the slightest. I am quite impressed with this game and how you all have designed it. I talk it up to other computer gamers whenever I get the chance.

One thing more. Have you all bought rations and spent time training for the inevitable onslought of armed bands of wives who will surely hunt you all down for creating this game? A game that is gonna cause their husbands to be so transfixed on their computer monitors for days on end, that wives are sure to mount an offesive bent on revenge.

Thanks again,

TeAcH

Hi Steve,

I am posting because I agree with Teach on this point regarding the camera angles. I too feel a free moving camera would be a greater asset for playability. I don't have myth, so I'm not certain if the camera motion style I am accustomed to is similar to it, but I would imagine so.

I have a game called Shadow Company which has a very similar view style to CM; scale is a little bigger tho tongue.gif

AT any rate in this game the pad moves the camer as in CM IIRC - But the KPD 7 &9 rotates the camera around the focal point

while the KPD 1 and 3 rotates the camera from the focal point simulating FPS

BUT

if you right click(and hold) you can adjust the camera to any height/angle including birdseye

This method of camera control is awesome and is very smooth smile.gif

I dont know how much has altered since the beta for Camera COntrol

but I have commented before requesting some modifications smile.gif I Don't want to hold up CM1 but maybe for CM2? or a patch later if ya get some time :P That is providing you look at this system and agree that it meets the game change checklist (I hope it would) :P

thanks for the consideration

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

SS_Panzerleader, I know Shadow Company, too - enjoyed it quite a lot actually. But I found the camera movements in SC much more cumbersome than CM's. Granted, I didn't play SC nearly as often as CM in the last year or so, but with SC it wasn't easy to hit the right angle at the first (or second) try often enough (especially true for zooming in and out). I prefer CM's pre-set camera positions, because I can access them with one keystroke and know what I get smile.gif

Personal preference, really...

^^Sorry for my double-post^^ I tried to delete the second one to no avail.

Regarding the camera issue, Moon, I do like the camera implentation in CM too. I would agree that a free ranging camera would take a little getting used to. The camera control in CM required some practice to master also.

My point is basically that Id like to see the two modes coexist at some point. Just a request thats all. I think that you'll find the free ranging camera much more dramatic and useful once you get the hang of it.

Thanks

TeAcH

PS SS_PL- Buddy. I can't wait for some rematches. We had a dandy chance encounter slug fest. Look for me on ICQ sometime (183078)