Stupid question "how high Res mod means?"

The ho-res mods are pictures (BMPs) that have more colors and higher resolution than the lo-res ones.

They look better (less pixelation, better definition), but consume more of your graphic card's memory, as they are all preloaded (remember the message "loading 3-d pictures" CM comes up with when it starts?).

The net effect is that if you don't have a high-end machine hi-res mods can worsen your game speed.

I would suggest experimenting, and if not satisfied with the end speed, stick to hi-res mods for vehicles and to lo-res for grass, forests etc.

Hope this helps.

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

...if not satisfied with the end speed, stick to hi-res mods for vehicles and to lo-res for grass, forests etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just to add; both Coralsaw and I use extreme low res mods for the terrain features. (Grass textures are one single pixel each, the rest are 32x32 pixels with 4 or 8 bits colour depth, instead of the standard 64x64 pixels 24 bits colour depth.)

The original textures supplied with CM are considered low res...

Cheers

Olle

Olle, how does that look? Does that significantly improve execution?

I have a P3/500 and the scenarios classed as "huge" are extremely jerky on my machine. I'm wondering if I should swap my terrain tiles for extreme lo-res when playing those. Any thoughts?

------------------

Sounds like 100% weapons-grade Balonium to me.

F Babra, I'll be happy to send you a screenshot tonight. You can get a clue to what they look like in my Stormtrooper pics posted earlier.

As for performance, it's to great extent a question of how much graphics RAM you have and how much that is used for textures. I guess huge scenarios typically use more textures than smaller scenarios, because of more differentiation in the units used.

I have 4MB graphics RAM, which is used up quite fast if using regular or hi-res textures.

I can also send you a copy of my textures if you want to try them out.

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

Olle, how does that look? Does that significantly improve execution?

I have a P3/500 and the scenarios classed as "huge" are extremely jerky on my machine. I'm wondering if I should swap my terrain tiles for extreme lo-res when playing those. Any thoughts?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Babra;

Your P500 should handle CM exceptionally well.

I have a PII400 and all my huge scenarios run just fine, all in hi-res. Even with 5000 points on the board.

Maybe you should look into more RAM or a better video card.

Def Bungis

The CPU doesn't do anything to the graphics, that's all up to the graphics processor.

What the CPU does is handle the AIs and do all "crunching" of turns. With a faster CPU you don't have to wait that long from pressing GO to watch the movie.

If anything, the regular RAM has the least to do with the performance of CM.

Cheers

Olle