OT: Napoleonic Wars - info, web sites, books and games recommended?

Hi guys,

I started developing an unhealthy interest in the multiple wars of the 17-1800's. Something about the bright uniforms, Dragoons, cannons, volleys of musket fire and bayonet battles I guess.

Anyway, seeing as how many of you fine folk here are on the level of historians for all sorts of wars, I'd like to ask here for some advice on recommended reading, gameing, and web surfing.

Thanks in advance fellers,

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wesreidau:

John Tiller (formerly worked for Talonsoft) is the MAN where Napoleonics are concerned.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. That's a matter of opinion.

Recommended Books*

Napoleon's Campaigns in Miniature - Bruce Quarrie

Tactics and the Experience of Battle in the Age of Napoleon - Rory Muir

Battle Tactics of Napoleon and his Enemies - Brent Nosworthy

The Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon - Gunther E Rothenberg

(*Recommended by me, that is smile.gif)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

I'd like to ask here for some advice on recommended reading, gameing, and web surfing.

Cheers!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good start for websurfing would be http://www.napoleonseries.com/. Follow any of the links from there. Also if you haven't discovered the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell you're in for a treat. First in the series is Sharpe's Rifles.

Wow, thanks for all that info guys!

Wesreidau,

I checked out your site and must say I found it very nicely built and having some excellent content! I think I'll purchase the game in question now.

Holdit,

Wow, these look like excellent book titles. Exactly what I had in mind. Do you think they have them over at Amazon?

Reno,

Amother excellent looking site! Much thanks.

MikeO,

I enjoyed Gettysburg, so this is a welcome surprise! Didn't know this was planned. Thanks!

Monticello,

Another great site...my bookmarks are getting filled up!

RedDevils,

How much you selling those miniatures for?

OK, here's another question - is there any working muskets like the ones of the period being sold? I imagine they are worth quite a bit more then the replicas which do not fire, so Im just asking. I'm not (yet!) rich enough to afford a $200,000 old gun!

Info would be appreciated,

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Wesreidau,

I checked out your site and must say I found it very nicely built and having some excellent content! I think I'll purchase the game in question now.

Holdit,

Wow, these look like excellent book titles. Exactly what I had in mind. Do you think they have them over at Amazon?

Reno,

MikeO,

I enjoyed Gettysburg, so this is a welcome surprise! Didn't know this was planned. Thanks!

Monticello,

RedDevils,

I'm at work right now ( biggrin.gif ) so I have to look at all my stuff. I would think about $4 a box (they are $7 to 9 new) would be about right. Ofcourse if I don't get any buyers soon my girlfriend may throw them out! frown.gif

Email me for any more inquiries!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wesreidau,

Holdit,

Reno,

MikeO,

Monticello,

RedDevils,

I'm at work right now ( biggrin.gif ) so I have to look at all my stuff when I get home. I would think about $4 a box (they are $7 to 9 new) would be about right. Ofcourse if I don't get any buyers soon my girlfriend may throw them all out! frown.gif

Email me for any more inquiries!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for double post!

[This message has been edited by Red Devils (edited 10-07-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

What's the friggin' point of just reposting an entire post as a quote with no additional input?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't be any point at all, if that is what he did. But he didn't.

OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer

some advice on recommended reading, gameing, and web surfing.

Cheers!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reading: I'd recommend anything written by Chandler, "The Hundred Days" is very good. Also his Osprey titles. The Military Book Club at least used to have some good titles. "Swords Around the Throne" is a great book but I can't recall the author off hand. I had a large collection of books on this topic but unfortunately had to sell most of them not too long ago so check used book dealers in the Pasadena, CA area. wink.gif

For computer gaming of this era, I really like Talonsoft's Battleground Series. "Prelude to Waterloo," "Waterloo," "Borodino," etc. For miniatures I only used 15mm figures and Avalon Hill's rules "Napoleon's Battles." They aren't so complex that you need the manual every 5 seconds but still include a lot of detail; also it comes w/some scenarios. I used to buy my figures from a company called "Wargames." They're really nice had good prices and prompt delivery.

Not surfed too much for info about this era but I'd recommend checking out the Napoleonic Society of America. They send out monthly newsletters and have annual (I think) conventions and trips to France, etc. =)

Kitty =^..^=

Holdit,

OK, here's another question - is there any working muskets like the ones of the period being sold? I imagine they are worth quite a bit more then the replicas which do not fire, so Im just asking. I'm not (yet!) rich enough to afford a $200,000 old gun!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought them all off the shelf in various bookshops, but I imagine Amazon would have them as they're all still in print with the possible exception of the Bruce Quarrie book, which I'm not too sure about (ISBN 0-85059-785-4). if you need ISBNs for the others, give me a shout, but you shouldn't have any problem.

I've you really want to dive in deep, I'd recommend Nosworthy, but it can be heavy going in some spots, because he goes into a lot of detail about the emergence of Napoleonic tactics from eighteenth century innovations. It's all fascinating stuff though.

"Uniforms of Waterloo", "Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars" and "Uniforms of 1812" by Philip Haythornthwaite all contain historical information - mainly concerning (apart from the uniforms of course) some brief regimental histories and accounts of battles, not to mention detailed OBs for the Waterloo and Russian campaigns. The old AH game "Napoleon's Battles" is a handy source of information too, especially regarding OB's and battles.

As far as I know, you can buy a Napoleonic musket, but I couldn't say where. Some re-enactors were displaying them at a wargames exhibition I attended in the late 80's in England (I even got to fire one). The model was the English Brown Bess; I was told that no-one was making the French model (in the UK at any rate). I seem to remember that the cost at the time for a musket was about £150.00