Mortar HTs

Is there some sort of trick to using these.

Their minimum range precludes close range use and if you keep them far away and in LOS, they get taken out by .50's and tanks.

Maybe only use a spotter (although there is no dedicated spotters for this purpose).

What works for you?

------------------

Sticks and stones may break my . . OUCH! Hey! Who threw . . .Stop! STOP IT!

I like to save them for assault pushes. When I have broken the line, and I'm exploting the breakthrough, a few rushed up Mortar HT's do great for that instant support while I move up the inf. ones. Also they are great for a bit of a mobile smokscreen when you don't want to waste FO arty.

------------------

Sticks and stones will break my bones and so would a 90lb carrort.

Raze, I like em. But, I agree, they don't always work out. Long range, direct fire on targets works best for me. Also use em for smoke missions. They do have a pretty hefty ammo loadout. One key to keeping them alive is having other poor slobs up closer taking most of the heat. If spotted and targeted, they won't last long.

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

There is little point in using mortar vehicles as currently modeled in CM, except for scenarios involving convoys caught en route. In most battles, they would be like ground mortars--in the rear and represented by an FO unit.

If you put them on the map, you face the following problems:

1. Being in a vehicle, they can't use any covered terrain, and can't move without generating at least a vehicle sound contact.

2. Being in a vehicle, they cannot be under the control of an HQ unit, and so cannot use on-map indirect fire. Combined with (1) above, this means that when they are in position to shoot, the enemy will always know where they are. So if there is any enemy anti-armor weapon with the range to reach them, they are toast.

3. CM doesn't model all the advantages of vehicular mortars over ground mounts, such as lack of digging themselves into the ground with the associated losses of accuracy, response time, and ROF.

Because of this situation, the only advantage vehicular mortars have over leg mortars is mobility, but this is at the price of beaucoup disadvantages leg mortars don't have.

So it's best to buy an 81mm FO. Failing that, it's usually better to buy a leg mortar and a separate halftrack. This gives the same mobility with less vulnerability, plus the ability to use an HQ unit for indirect fire. The only drawback is the time required to mount and dismount. But in most situations, I'd rather have the leg mortar for its other advantages than the vehicular mortar.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Thanks! I don't buy HT mortars but the computer does. I often like the challenge using computer purchased units and trying to make them work wink.gif

------------------

Sticks and stones may break my . . OUCH! Hey! Who threw . . .Stop! STOP IT!