solution to TF Davis?

pkpowers

After reading your post I just tried it. I had eliminated all OPFOR units on turn 47.

I set up a scout team on each bridge area and another fairly far forward on the high ground. It seems as long as they don't move they are fairly invisible and good as arty spotters.

My two initial tank platoons were down in the wadis in the vicinity of the bridges, and the bradleys were set up to ambush vehicles which might be coming over the high ground (which is faster for movement). The bradleys ambushed like this: they are mostly deployed along the reverse bank of the wadi running SW to NE directly behind the road. When enemy vehicles are spotted on the high ground, they ascend to the high ground with an SOP to smoke immediately after firing or being fired upon. If they are out of smoke the have a reverse after firing SOP. This way they back down into safety again after firing.

The SAMs are about 1 wadi farther back together with the 120mm mortar carrier.

Start calling in spotting rounds on turn one to develop lots of TRPs and then just respond to the enemy. Initial goal is just to attrit and observe his forces while waiting for the reinforcements. Opfor eventually KO'd all the bradleys in my initial screening force, but at a great loss. My arty whacked him hard, and as soon as I spotted his dismounted SAMs I used improved arty ammo on them in anticipation of the arrival of planes and helos.

Opfor managed to penetrate the center part of the VL for a short time, but was driven out, especially after the Helos came and KOd his vehicles from a very long range stand-off position.

When reinforcements arrived it was just a matter of having them clean up. I tried driving them over the high ground, which is faster, and that worked fine.

Final result, all OPFOR destroyed at a cost of 4 tanks, 12 bradleys, one scout team lost.

Oh, and I didn't give OPFOR thermal sights or advanced ammo, perhaps I should have mentioned that right off. So some nice heavy smoke, just as the enemy tank/BMP force showed up helped a bit ;)

Thanks for the advice; I ended trying almost the same setup as you mentioned and eliminated all OPFOR (with 50 % losses to the good guys)(which is not good either!)...I discovered my setup error after my post, I had always setup inside the (black lined) objective only, not back along the western wadis...no wonder I had a rough time at it.

Next time I'll pay more attention.