DISEMBARKING QUESTION?

I was jut wondering why infantry units when loaded on a vehicle are not given the option to pause before they unload to get their timing right? I just find it frustrating that a unit with a squad arrives at their destination with 1/2 the turn to spare and just sits there. Am I the only one to notice this or am I doing something wrong?

------------------

Who says charging the enemy isn't the best policy?...

words of the late, "great" commander Haigh

Guest Michael emrys

If you will select the passenger unit (you may have to hit Shift-V to make the carrier invisible before you can do this), then assign it a Move order (or Fast or Sneak) to the place you want it to end up, it will disembark after the vehicle stops and proceed there. Neat, huh? smile.gif

Michael

If the vehicle is given a 'pause' order, the infantry unit may actually disembark before the vehicle starts moving. With Crack or Elite infantry they might do this even if the vehicle hasn't been paused.

You just have to keep in mind that infantry will embark or disembark when a vehicle is stationary, regardless of what orders either unit has been given. Also, infantry will not move towards a vehicle while it is moving.

So if you tell a vehicle to drive over to a squad, and tell the squad to mount it - the squad might start moving before the vehicle does, then stop, then continue once the vehicle has reached its destination. In this situation it might be a good idea to pause the squad.

What annoys me most is when you want to advance a vehicle, but first you need to get infantry off it. You can't just push them off and get moving - you have to wait for them to disembark. In this situation you need to pause the vehicle - going by my aforementioned rule, the infantry _will_ disembark if ordered, even though the vehicle is just about to move off. They don't assume the vehicle is supposed to be taking them with it.

David

Just to re-state:

Give both the troops and vehicle orders at the start.

The infantry will get off if they have orders to go elsewhere and the vehicle is stopped. Check the pause value of the troops and the vehicle. If the passenger value is lower, they will get off before it moves, if higher, they will wait till it stops. Like David said, you may need to add a pause to the troops to keep them from jumping off before it moves, or to the vehicle if you want it to wait for the troops to get off before moving.

• 1 month later...

How about the opposite?

If I want a squad to run to a waiting truck, embark, then have the truck take off, carrying everyone to safety, is there a more precise way than giving the truck pause orders to hold it until the squad's pause runs out, plus an estimate for the time it'll take the squad to get to the truck?

My fear is that someday I won't factor in enough pause and the truck will take off out of there, leaving the squad standing in the middle of the road, sitting ducks. (I suppose the argument will be that this is realistic since the driver might panic and leave too early...)

So I give the truck plenty of pause time, but then the squad jumps on board and squad and truck sit there taking fire for 10 seconds (or whatever) before they start moving.

I'm not sure how much units "co-operate" in CM, how much they are aware of each other, and each others objectives, whether that's moving onto a truck (or lorry, depending on the nationality wink.gif) or assaulting an enemy across open ground.

That kind of level of co-operation on a large scale is difficult to model, and offhand I can't think of any game that's achieved it satisfactorily. However small-scale co-operation between a vehicle and passenger isn't so difficult to implement, though I don't think we should expect it before CM2.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaded:

How about the opposite?

If I want a squad to run to a waiting truck, embark, then have the truck take off, carrying everyone to safety, is there a more precise way than giving the truck pause orders to hold it until the squad's pause runs out, plus an estimate for the time it'll take the squad to get to the truck?

My fear is that someday I won't factor in enough pause and the truck will take off out of there, leaving the squad standing in the middle of the road, sitting ducks. (I suppose the argument will be that this is realistic since the driver might panic and leave too early...)

So I give the truck plenty of pause time, but then the squad jumps on board and squad and truck sit there taking fire for 10 seconds (or whatever) before they start moving.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the squad won't stand there in the middle of the road, they will start to chase after the truck wherever it goes until they either catch it, are given other orders, or they or the truck are destroyed.

One way out of your dilemma would be to have your troops embus/debus in some kind of covered or hidden terrain where they can't be shot at while performing the operation. I realize this can't always be done, in which case, **** Happens™. tongue.gif

Michael

Michael, thanks for the clarification. It's good to know that the 'goto target' is the truck rather than the location.

And of course I wasn't really thinking in CM terms when I wrote that post, because in any event the squad wouldn't just stand there, would it? They'd dive for cover or whatever seemed best.

What a cool game....

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Arsheholes cause it (no offense just had to say it)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying God is an arsehole? Just curious. The metaphysical, let alone the cosmological, implications of this are intriguing.

Michael