Commanders and Skill bonuses

The biggest thing I have taken advantage of is the command bonus (gives you a wider c&c range). Comes in handy when trying to coordinate widely dispersed travel through woods or when you want to have a large number of disparate support units under c&c.

I've also noticed some benefit from the stealth bonus--allows me to sneak to the edge of treelines with more confidence in not being spotted.

What do these mean, anyway? They are some arbitrary measurement, i.e. "Combat +2", but what does that mean in game terms? Harder to supress? Shoot more accurately? More often? Waste less ammo? What percentage better than normal? Is it on a curve? Is it a small bonus or a hugely significant bonus? What does a "stealth" bonus do? And so forth...

Sage

Not a large effect?!?

OK, try the following: Start VoT as hotseat against yourself ( No joke). Set the german squat with the super HQ unit (+2Stealth, +2 Moral etc.)up in Plomville and in C&C of their platoon HQ. Then let the US Art shower that area. There is a good chance that your platoon does not break even if it suffers horrendous casualities!

Now try the same setup without your platoon HQ. There is certainly a difference.

To be honest, i became aware of the effectivness of HQ units when the GD arrived. Before that, i took only a look at the squats experiance levels. You will also notice that orders take more time to be carried out when a squat is not in C&C.

Even if your platoon HQ shows no boni in their stats i found out that their squats perform somewhat better in combat ( How would you behave if your CO orders you to attack a certain pillbox frontally and find out that he prefers to stay behind in safety?).

Shortly, you will not be bad advised if you try to keep your units in C&C whenever possible.

Schugger

------------------

Es gibt Tage da verliert man und Tage da gewinnen die anderen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sage2:

What do these mean, anyway? They are some arbitrary measurement, i.e. "Combat +2", but what does that mean in game terms? Harder to supress? Shoot more accurately? More often? Waste less ammo? What percentage better than normal? Is it on a curve? Is it a small bonus or a hugely significant bonus? What does a "stealth" bonus do? And so forth...

Sage<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just guessing now:

Regarding the Combat bonus you surly have noticed that a Veteran squat is far more better in engaging the enemy than a Green one, i.e. fires more often and so on. If the squat is in C&C of its platoon HQ with +1 Combat skill it performs one "pip" better than its experiance level.

Same may be true for Moral: A veteran squat can become Crack or even (shocking) Elite if the HQ unit has that skill at +1 or +2. Regarding Command skill i'm a bit uncertain. The command range of a HQ unit is increased and probably the squats are somewhat faster when they respond to your orders ( if in C&C ).

Stealth? Think that this skill affects the capability of a squat to move around the battlefield unseen by enemy units.

Just what i think, but i'm to lazy to do a search and provide you with an URL to give definite answers.

Schugger

------------------

Es gibt Tage da verliert man und Tage da gewinnen die anderen.

The easy one to tell is what the command bonus does.

Command radius

Bonus LOS no LOS

0 50m 25m

+1 75m 37m

+2 100m 50m

EXACTLY what the others do, I'm unsure of.

But that is what a bright shiny manual is for.

Jason

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK

Guest Big Time Software

Hehehe... well, pretty soon you can look this up yourselves on Page 73 to be exact smile.gif But for those of you who can't wait...

Command (star) - Increases the command radius which allows greater distances between HQ and Squads.

Combat (lightning) - Increases firepower and to-hit chance for all units under its command.

Morale (heart) - Lowers the chance of a unit panicking or routing when under command. Panicked units usually rally faster.

Stealth (question mark) - Increases the chance of remaining unspotted for units in ambush and while sneaking.

I find the Morale and Command to be the most valuable. I have, for example, used the German Company HQ in VoT to run back and rally guys after they got whacked by artillery or tank fire. In fact, I once held the hill in a last ditch defense for no other reason than using my CO HQ to rally the troops. I had the shattered remains of 3 platoons (something like 20 men!) sticking it out below the Major Victory Location. It was JUST enough to take the steam out of the last US assault up the hill. Then the game ended and I got a Draw instead of some sort of loss if I either didn't use or have the HQ.

So the answer is... "yes" smile.gif

Steve