Question on QB bocage and airplanes

Having played many a QB I realize that:

a) I've never gotten a map that contains bocage

B) I've never received aircraft as part of my forces (I ALWAYS play Allies).

I'm thinking (a) may be because I almost always choose the default month (November I think) or later...so the Allies wouldn't be in bocage country.

Has anyone seen either of these two things in a QB?

p.s. now that I think of it...i've never received the infamous "armored clown car" either. Now I feel I'm REALLY missing out!

Guest Michael emrys

Are you picking your own OOB or letting the computer do it? For one thing, air support is terrifically expensive and you might not have enough points for it. Close air support in this theater was rare and often as dangerous for your own troops as for the enemy, although it did improve dramatically after the Normandy battles.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Are you picking your own OOB or letting the computer do it?

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should have mentioned that I'm referring to battles in which the AI picks my forces. Picking your own OOB severly limits you...you can get better stuff when you let the AI do it (though at times it can be a crap shoot).

In all combined arms QB i've played in which I picked my own forces I've never been able to get any artillery above 75mm. Let the AI pick your forces and I've got 105's to spare smile.gif

Guest Madmatt

You won't get Bocage in DYO's.

The resoning, well I asked Charles this and he said that when the computer made maps with Bocage they didnt look good. So they arent in.

Bocage really takes some tweaking for proper appearance in maps. Its tricky stuff.

Dont know about planes. You wont get them in 1.01 but I thought someone said they got one in a 1.02 DYO ai picked force. Not sure though.

Madmatt

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

You won't get Bocage in DYO's.

The resoning, well I asked Charles this and he said that when the computer made maps with Bocage they didnt look good. So they arent in.

Bocage really takes some tweaking for proper appearance in maps. Its tricky stuff.

Dont know about planes. You wont get them in 1.01 but I thought someone said they got one in a 1.02 DYO ai picked force. Not sure though.

Madmatt

Madmatt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that explains it then...no bocage due to mapping problems (I was beginning to suspect as much) and no airplanes in 1.01 (which is the version I have).

Thanks for the replies...I was beginning to wonder if I was just bucking the odds in not getting these items.

ScottK

ScottK,

Having played nothing but Quick Battles since I got the full Combat Mission, with only the first patch added by me, and having been on the receiving end of Allied airstrikes, I can absolutely assure you that airpower is in. I have had my forces both bombed and rocketed. Spectacular!

I couldn't figure out at first what hit me; then realization dawned, realization confirmed by the telltale shadow streaking across the ground when I repeatedly ran the turn.

I believe you'll find it only in QBs in the 1000 point range, though. As I recall, a single plane is some 300 points. By the way, I'd be willing to bet that November is pretty much a nonflyable month. Try June at 1000 points and let us know what happens.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

John Kettler

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 07-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 07-21-2000).]