An interesting idea for squad representation!

I brought this up about a year ago but I was just wondering if there was an possibility of this now.

We all know that the squads are represented by 3 men in a triangle formation. I was thinking that people would complain less about this if the 3 figures weren't always in a triangle. If they could move about it would look a lot more realistic.

I realize that it would look somewhat unrealistic if one figure was slightly behind the others and it became pinned because they all would go prone and that looks odd. Perhaps a fix for this would be to have each figure be able operate somewhat independantly. I'm not asking for control of each 1/3 of a squad but simply for it to be represented more realistically. Perhaps even if one part of the squad was caught seperatly then the squad could become split.

Just an idea I had.

Thanks anyway.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

I see your point, but please consider that there are only 2 guys programming CM.

Should they really waste their time for such chrome?

What most people miss is, that CM is a solid wargame...programmed by wargamers for wargamers.

Animations are time consuming and add nothing to the underlying mathematical combat model.

But I see your point, even if our opinions differ. smile.gif

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited 08-18-2000).]

This would just further confuse people about what they're actually seeing. As I'm sure you know, the three men effectively form a single 'counter' - they're just a man-shaped counter, not models of your men.

The kind of actions you see - firing, throwing a grenade, taking cover - are acceptable indications of what the squad is doing. Anything else is just fluff, but it also creates the impression that you're seeing individual men, and this will create more confusion. Best the way it is!

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

Actualy the best suggestion I've heard on chainging the Squad graphics is the one based on squad members.

So that you have a great notion of how many guys are there. Example each figure is appox 3 guys. so a german squad is usually always 3, since they usually run less than american squads. american squads would be shown with 4, ect... So you wouldn't have the same 3 man graphic for an 8 man squad and a 13 man assualt squad.

Can't find the thread now... bummer. was explained better than this. But basically would give a good indication of men, but not clutter the screen.

Just an idea.

Lorak

I kind of like the idea. There was an old screenshot of a pre-alpha build of the game that had the unit base in the shape of a triangle and it let you determine unit facing from the 2D views. It would have been kind of nice to keep it.

Having the 3 squaddies arranged in anything other than a straight line would allow you to see the facing a little more easily without having to zoom in.

p.

Peterk,

I really liked the Pointer base showing direction too. I believe this was put in when CM was,(still 3d), but instead of square tiles, was still using hex terrain tiles. So the point would face I guess a hex corner.

Lorak

Lorak, I believe I made the suggestion you referred to in this thread http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/008950.html

I believe the idea is a good one because it doesn't unduly clutter up the screen, provides USEFUL battlefield information, and is (possibly) not difficult to code. The one, two, and three man squads are already in. All that is needed is a four man squad (and five man for the Sturmgruppe - but that can be left out as five men are only necessary for one squad type).

Jason