Will there be a prone firing position in CM2?

well, I guess infantry units ARE firing prone, because the game needs to show you when unit is "active" (i.e. targeting and firing), when - taking cover. (imagine what happens to a squad if they get machine gun fire standing on their feet, even in woods).

So if they are kneeling on screen they are actually firing from flat on their stomachs, elbows bent, in the game equation? I mean as far as how the game calculates this.

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 10-25-2000).]

But my argument is that wouldn't line of site, accuracy, and chance of being hit change depending on what position you are firing from? Wouldn't this add to the tactics involved in infantry use while playing?

When a man is pinned in game terms, he is lying flat, hiding from enemy fire, trying to make himself as small a target as possible right?

So if he were lying flat while firing he would be harder to hit, but have a greater accuracy because of his position, but it would effect his LOS, unless he was positioned high, say on a hill. Alot of sharp shooters take this position in contests because it increases stability while firing. On the other hand a man firing from a kneeling position, he might be less accurate, also a bigger target, but have a better LOS because of his height.

If it is all modeled into the game as Splinty and Gustav have suggested that is fine, I can live with that. I was just pondering what tactical function this could produce in future games.

Thanks guys.

Mord

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 10-25-2000).]

I doubt the game engine goes into the detail of specific positions, but I expect the calculations will assume that a soldier is making best use of the available cover. The 'kneeling' graphic is simply to visually distinguish an active soldier from one who is taking cover.

David

button.gif

------------------

Somewhere between a joke and a conspiracy