Setting up beyond the map edge

I'm hopefully going to start some PBEMs soon, and have an ettiquette question that I don't think was covered in the recent thread on such.

I'm surprised at the large setup area on the maps I've played. Is it considered bad form to push units right up to the setup edge? I'm in favor of keeping units on the map edge (except things like a column of tanks coming down a road, or snipers who've setup ahead), but don't want to handicap myself if others don't do the same.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

Daveman -

Check out this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/008752.html

There's an ongoing discussion relating to your question.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

[This message has been edited by Chupacabra (edited 08-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Chupacabra (edited 08-10-2000).]

Dave,

Chupa's thread is referring to using the mapedge to screen flanks and similar issues. I think you're asking whether it's acceptable to set up as far forward as allowed by the setup zone.

IMO, emphatically yes! It's not always desirable, of course - sometimes nice positions or covered approaches aren't that far forward. But one of the first things I do when I see the map for the first time is try to identify key terrain and whether I can get to it before my opponent can. In most scenarios you have a limited amount of time to achieve your objective, and taking 5 or 10 turns to organize your troops and move them to their jumping-off positions can be too expensive (particularly because often your setup area can be taken under fire by the enemy). I like to think of all that planning and organization taking place before the scenario clock actually starts, and place my forces accordingly.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

[This message has been edited by L.Tankersley (edited 08-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by L.Tankersley (edited 08-10-2000).]

Absolutely okay in my book, but as mentioned it's not always a good idea. I've lost many a unit because they were wide open to the bad guys on turn one. My poor M8, for example, managed to get a round off for the honor of the flag before it was immolated by the JagTiger of Jeff's.