Forum Woes - alt.games.combat-mission - The Only Answer

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time

Software:

OK Kids...

[...]

Please post suggestions here and we will look into them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is NO choice there is only one answer:

alt.games.combat-mission

Point your mouse here:

http://www.geocities.com/combat_mission1/Charter.htm

"The Truth Shall Set You Free"

Regards,

Gunny Bunny

Er..., Bunny.

so they call me kid, an' I'm 35 years old. I'm kinda proud of that. biggrin.gif

Heck, they can call me kid anytime.

It's just a figure of speech, and not meant to be taken too seriously, I'm sure.

As for moderation: We need it because some people just can't handle unlimited freedom.

So there.

And another thing: the contact adress on the site you mentioned is anonymous. How's that for moderation.

------------------

Der ver zwei peanuts, valking down der Strasse, and von vas...assaulted! peanut. Ho-ho-ho-ho.

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FurballMagGP:

unfortunately it would have to be a private ng...... nobody wants the spammers in there and some guys get a bit too carried away with their posts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt about it, despite what the title of this thread states, any answer that doesn't include moderation and control is no answer at all ...

Not to say there's not a place for a Usenet news group, I've already subscribed to it. It serves a useful purpose, but it is not (IMHO) the answer to replacing this excellent forum here.

Guest Big Time Software

Agreed. Moderation is the only way to go, even though it takes up a lot of our time. Also, NGs do not provide a SEARCH feature so past information will be lost very quickly. In fact, if we wanted to we could simply delete 100,000 messages and get this forum back down to workable size for a long time to come. But doing this is not an option for the same reason that a discussion forum without search and long term storage capabilities is not an option. Past discussions are VERY important for us to keep around.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Agreed. Moderation is the only way to go, even though it takes up a lot of our time. Also, NGs do not provide a SEARCH feature so past information will be lost very quickly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not just bring up your own NNTP server and let us graze there? You could set it up to not expire any articles. Most news readers ahve fairly good search capabilities these days.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Agreed. Moderation is the only way to go, even though it takes up a lot of our time. Also, NGs do not provide a SEARCH feature so past information will be lost very quickly. In fact, if we wanted to we could simply delete 100,000 messages and get this forum back down to workable size for a long time to come. But doing this is not an option for the same reason that a discussion forum without search and long term storage capabilities is not an option. Past discussions are VERY important for us to keep around.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong, www.deja.com has a database that anyone may use for free

Regards,

GB

Bollocks to usenet.

I can't use it from work

and it's full of spam and junk and arse.

Please keep a web board of some kind.

How about locking this web board up and installing a new one in another area of your server and starting fresh.

I dunno, anything but the hell that is newsroups. They haven't been any good since '94

PeterNZ

------------------

"I can be quite pleasant, you know" - Andreas

"WHERE'S THE MOAT?!" - Jon

Free satellite dish network!

R U GUYZ A BUNCH OF WARMONGRZ R WHAT!

All your favorite games on Ebay.com.

I GOT THIS AOL CD IN THE MAIL ANYBODY WANT TO PLAY?

You suk.

Yeah, I really miss Usenet. I don't know if this board was the drug or the methadone, but it got me off Usenet and I'm not going back. I did try to find alt.combat mission, or whatever it was, but mindspring didn't list it and I haven't even looked again.

One final thought: remember cross-posting? Picture the possibilities... yecchhh.

I agree with Mark IV. I'm done with Usenet. I slogged through it for a few years, and now I can't be bothered. If BTS made Usenet their primary forum, I wouldn't participate. As far as I'm concerned, that'd be a shame, but that's how it'd be.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.