Does anyone play TACOPS anymore?

Ignus

You know, I just bought this game from Battlefront and must say I love it. It's so simple, so easy to use, and it comes with so many reference materials that I can't believe that there are not more people playing. Not only is there a lot of reference materials, but all 210 or so pages of the manual and tutorial are on the disk and can be read with Adobe Acrobat. That may detour some people, but let me say, it's a lot easier navigating. In addition, there are actual photos for most units in the game if you want to check out what a Leopard looks like for instance. Anybody feel the same way as I? Where are all the TacOps people?

Ignus

<Where are all the TacOps people>

This forum has never really caught on with the TacOps faithful. What talk there is seems to mainly be via the TacOps mailing list.

To subscribe to the TacOps mailing list, send a message with "subscribe tacops" (no quotes) in the body to Majordomo@perilpoint.com

P.S. The mailing list is a very good place to find people who want to play TacOps by email and IRC.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ignus:

Anybody feel the same way as I? Where are all the TacOps people?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really like the game and the pdf manuals. TacOps is my favorite game, and pdf manuals are very easy for me to use.

I have shown the demo to a lot of friends and family. Those who are into strategy games liked it, but it's very complex for people who aren't familure with the modern military.

A lot of people don't know what all the units are. They don't know anything about real military tactics. Plus combat is extremely lethal, and doesn't allow a lot of room for error. In addition, the controls are pretty sophisticated.

Others were a little put off by the simple graphics. Maybe that's a little shallow, but some people want eye-candy.

I like the realism of TacOps. Before TacOps, I was disappointed by a lot of the computer games on the market because they are so silly. I'm facinated with real military tactics, I don't mind sophistication, and I think the game interface is very effective even with simple graphics.

I've played this game off and on for many years and have lurked quietly in the shadows by choice. I think I still have my original set of 3 1/2" disks around somewhere. TACOPS is very enjoyable to me because I prefer to play solitaire -- I avoid opponents because it is difficult for me to find time regularly and sit down to play. TACOPS interface is simple to master and I have very few complaints. I gladly paid the mere $20 to get the updated version when it became available. It was a bit tricky to follow the lengthy adventures of Major H's software distributor shuffle. I am glad for the free patches, but would definitely pay for more enhancements, such as more terrain variety and resolution (zoom?). I hate moving to the edge of woods only to find I missed by a pixel. TACOPS is my mainstay game. Other wargames with better graphics come and go, but I always come back to TACOPS for its simplicity of play and quite stategy--almost like a Chess game with Chobham.

time to go hibernate for another few years.

I have rarely seen a game developer with the committment to both his/her game and the players/purchasers of that game. Major H. is always "right there" listening to suggestions, helping someone understand the game, or finding replacement disks for legitimately purchased -- but lost -- older copies of the program.

Any gamers who would not pay for additional enhancements and/or upgrades to this wonderful game and wonderful developer should have their head examined.

I can hardly wait for the new TacOps!

• 2 weeks later...

I think that TacOps is a true "thought-based" game. As such, it will never appeal to the Arcade-game/MTV crowd. I feel very lucky to possess a copy of it. Once I tried playing an e-mail game with a gentleman who was a former brigadier of the army on TF PeterJohn. I got creamed and I never played by e-mail again. My thinking is that perhaps you have to have some real military savvy to play the game effectively. That might be a turn-off to others. It is far and away the best game that Battlefront supplies to the public. And a macintosh game to boot! smile.gif

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: SeaRich ]