Effect of fog on hit probability

I'm in a PBEM game with a friend, small scenario with fog. One of my APC was in sight of a US Bazooka for almost 2 minutes. The zook fired 7 or 8 shots at less than 100 m. with no hit scored.

I was amazed by this, is it luck or something else?

I've done a search on the subject and found that fog affects LOS and spotting but no info about the effect of fog on probability to hit the target.

I'm sorry if this subject was discussed before, i found 200 topics on fog but i can't read them all.

------------------

"Memento Audere Semper" - G. D'Annunzio

I'm sure that's a combination of bad luck (or sbad skill on the firing teams part) divided by the fact that the bazooka was firing at long range. (OTOH I've seen first round kills at that range) WHile fog can block LOS if it's thick enough and the tgt is far enough out, once it's close enough to be seen it shouldn't have much effect.

Los

You call that bad luck, on one occasion I'd painstakinly gotten a zook to within 30 yards of an StuG, and had him manage to fire 5 rounds, all of which hit and penetrated, none of them for any damage. The sixth round finally got the Stug. The tank's crew probably started ignoring the zook after a few hits: Woosh...Clonk! "Another hit, commander. Want me to kill that cursed Ami?"

"Nah, I wanted some air holes in this friggin steel box anyway. Let him fire away, its not like he'll kill us."

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton

Well,

the fact is that the zook is out of ammo now (i'm still playing the same PBEM game, the scenario is St.Anne Chapelle), and my APC is taking care of the zook.

I've runned some test of fog and % to hit and it seems that LOS was right: when you see an enemy through fog, no modifier will apply to the probs to hit.

------------------

"Memento Audere Semper" - G. D'Annunzio

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robo:

I'd venture to say that one's marksmanship could improve in a fog, what with no sun's glare to deal with and less visual distractions etc...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I hate it when my guy lines up a good shot on a sunny, clear day and then out of the blue this pink elephant runs out and distracts my guys targeting. Damn! Then I have to retarget him all over again next turn. wink.gif

Jeff