When should we expect "Bad Quake" scenarios?

Oh, come on, we all know it is bound to happen. You give people an editor, and they start making levels that resemble the places they live/work/learn. Of course, the inside joke is lost on all but a handful of folks, but those levels still were posted to the net. There must have been Doom or Quake levels of most Junior High schools in the US, with the most feared teacher replaced by a cyberdemon. I even saw a few offices. Showing that you never outgrow parallel thinking, the boss' office contained a cyberdemon.

So, how long will it be before we see our first "hometown" scenario? I must admit that the idea of virtually rolling an armored column up Fair Oaks Boulevard and dropping some arty on certain shops is appealing. Maybe that first scenario will come from me.

LOL...are you saying you want to have a forward observer take out the yuppies locking you up in traffic on Colorado Blvd? Say 300mmm rocket attack, because their making you late getting home to play CM? How about rolling a Tiger up on Buster's Expresso House so you can park in front eh...LOLROF!!!

Yeah I know the area well I live down the 110

Fwy in Highland Park...

Here's a good one, send a panzergrenader company up the 110 to clear a path around that out of town toothless truck driver from West Virginia jack knifed on the off ramp.

Just please, no, no strafing attacks on the City of L.A. paving crew, I would have to trade my Track Loader in for a Werbelwind.

Greetings neighbor...

Galland0 (aka Geoff Patterson)

I was going to make two of them:

Battle of the Rose Bowl-- a meeting engagement in the Arroyo Seco

and

Battle of the Rose Parade-- the defenders get to hole up in buildings and side streets while the parade charges down Colorado Blvd.

Holy crap!! Don't target Busters coffee shop! That'd take out the antique shop across Mission that has all the cool WWII paraphernalia/memorabilia. Man, that's literally right around the corner from me. I live less than 300 yds.from South Pasadena HS. I'm much more in favor of targeting something a couple blocks east on Mission: The South Pasadena Police Dept. ("Nazis, I tell ya... They're all Nazis!")

Guest Kinch

Actually, over the years of PC wargaming

and being online with a 9600 baud modem in 1993, I dont remember a posted WW2 scenario using someone's "hometown" or school

(unless its was a real battle site).

It may be interesting briefly and good for a

few yucks, but why waste development time

when you can "re-create" a historical battle, or hypotheical one based at least

in part on the what if's in history i.e.

Hilter releases the Panzers to strike the

Normandy beaches. Or something based on "where Eagles Dare" or "Guns of Navarone).

I may be wrong now, but based on the past you will not see very many Quake-like "boards" for CM.

Actualy, I don't see anything wrong with using your hometown for a map. I live in the foothills of North Carolina, and I can tell you that a lot of the land around here would make some great maps. Rolling hills, rivers, gully's, fields, farms, and scattered houses.

It just depends on where you live. Good land is good land. Likewise if someone decides to do a map in an area full of wide streets and strip malls. He is well.......

Lorak

------------------

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

Guest Michael emrys

I know that for years after I started playing tactical wargames, every time I was out in the countryside of California, Oregon, and Washington I would look over the terrain and think of how I would fight on it. I ran through quite a few imaginary Squad Leader scenarios that way, thinking of where I would put my MGs, mines, mortars, secondary firing positions, outposts, FOs, fallback routes, and so on.

I tried to imagine how I would move a corps sized mechanized force through the Santa Cruz Mountains from the beachhead at Pescadero to Silicon Valley against any kind of organized opposition and decided it would make the Germans' task in the Battle of the Bulge look like a picnic. Those who have spent any considerable time in the area will know what I mean.

Michael

Nice to "meet" you GallandO. There are several SGV folks around here. I know Left4Dead is also in South Pas, so there are at least three of us here. South Pas now really has a sort of "Blue Velvet" aspect to it for me. First, I see on the Amazon.com purchase circle for South Pas that the #10 bestselling book here is "The Story of O," and now I find out it is full of crazy CM gamers. smile.gif

I also mentally review the local terrain for fighting positions. The more I think about this, the more I think I do need to do a "Battle of Fremont Avenue," where Alhambra tries to make a push up to occupy the South Pas City Hall and put an end to the freeway fight once and for all. The area bounded by Huntington, the 110, Meridian, and Marengo would make a decent urban scenario battlefield, and well within the editor's abilities. A good mix of heavy and light buildings, lots of trees. Maybe move the hill the water tower is on over to the east and include it as some high ground. Hmmm...

Um.... I've actually been working on a "Harvard" battle. While I agree that many may see this as silly and, realisically, this has no wide spread appeal...

I hope that other alumni and faculty will be amused.

I like the highly built-up nature of cambridge.

I like fighting over locations I'm familiar with.

Its good practice turning real terrain into CM bytes.

So yea... its pretty silly... but I hope someone downloads it when I'm done smile.gif

--Chris

Oh yea,

The school house at the end of the fwy would be a great place to place a couple 88's and a foward observer. There'd be burned out catapillars all over the area.

North Carolina is a great place for map ideas, been to Ashville before.

Hey Supertanker ever been walking around Descanso Gardens with a significant other, and caught yourself mentally setting up ambush sights in the hedges? LOL

Then she says,"Isn't it romantic here..."

"Ah, oh... yea... yea! uhum yes dear it's just beautiful."

SSSSSSsssssssssrrrroooosh BOOOMM! As you mentally picture a 150mm barrage crashing through the forest.

Yea we're all grown up now but we still like our plastic army men and a Bic lighter days.

I got a couple of the guys on my crew into playing Quake2 at the zone, but convincing them on playing Combat Mission is taking all my manipulative powers.

I've taken it as my personal goal, I will see CM 2,3,4!!!By getting the word out on CM 1.

Hell I've even offered to buy a copy for one of my buddies. But it's like pulling teeth to bring them to the wargame table, no worry I've got big plyers eh?

I wanted to start learning to use the editor, so went ahead and made a map of South Pasadena like I said above (I ended up using Mission as the northern boundary). I have not added any units or changed elevations, but I'll get to those. I temporarily added some units, and dropped a bunch of 8 inch shells around the town. The map is very urban, which could lead to some good fights.

I think that a Battle of East New Orleans is in order. Nothing like blasting the crap out of the crack houses from I-10 to top off your day. Of course, the ground is pretty soft and squishy, so light AFV's and SS motorized infantry are in the order of battle. That and a lot of arty...maybe a battleship in Lake Ponchartrain to lob in some 14 inchers?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maastrictian:

Um.... I've actually been working on a "Harvard" battle. While I agree that many may see this as silly and, realisically, this has no wide spread appeal...

I hope that other alumni and faculty will be amused.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I for one would like nothing better than to raze that two-bit "university" to the ground: 155s would do for the boat house; air strikes for the Porcellian Club; flame thrower crews could assault the Yard; I'd set up some MG killzones at the egresses of Elliot House; and the Hasty Pudding would be stormed in a close assault, although they might enjoy that a bit too much. And in the background, the soundtrack would be softly ululating, "Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, siss, siss, siss, boom, boom, boom, bah!"

And some of my best friends went to Hahvahd...

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe