Padlock Incentive?

Just wondering if MadMatt negotiated an incentive into his contract with BTS that allows for a bonus if he reaches a certain number of padlocked threads? If so I would say the funding for CM2 may be in serious jeopardy.

Oh oh I see a bald guy coming with a masterlock in their hand.

------------------

If the eyes in my head worked as well as the ones in my a$$ I would be a millionaire

Guest Madmatt

Nah, I just like when someone new to the board can view the forum and not see 18,000 totally irrelevant posts. Nice thing about the padlock is it cleans out the detritus rather quickly.

I will leave this one for prosperity though. wink.gif

Madmatt

Maybe I should change my nick to Warden?

"Bones?"

"It looks bad, Jim. I don't think this topic is gonna make it"

"But Bones, can't you do something?"

"DAMMIT Jim -I'm a doctor. Not a forum moderator!"

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmonger:

They just felt 'in their opinion' it should be closed !

That's not right !

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But you know that it is their board and not Speaker's Corner?

There was a thread on why threads are being locked up in the general area of the board, and I suggest having a look at that, it could prove enlightening.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-01-2000).]

Here is the BTS padlock explanation cite:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum9/HTML/000075.html

First off I cannot and will not speak for Matt, or anyone else. This is my two cents, for what it is worth, based on a massive recent reading of this board. I am not a member of this forum, BTS, or any org but the University of South Carolina.

The graphics room for improvement ran for 3 pages, and fell into two groups -- high end graphics owners and people who said they thought in came in right. No one on either side really brought out any new stuff though or offerred a ground shaking path for squeezing in better graphics. Soon the post turned into a simple back and forth were people were going to get angry. Note the second, higher graphics versus the luddites was stated in such a way that it could never produce any useful information in any way -- you could have branded the other side luddites, but better to do it in the post using a sound argument. Next you have the Geforce versus Voodoo you start off and say "I hope the game designers are listening" like they do not keep up with video standards.

I see a lot of posts banned because they are the same old thing. In the past two weeks of posts there are like 6 topic headings that start off "My German monster tank was killed by a Sherman and I lost a battle, German tanks (infantry, etc) need to be made more powerful." The posts contain a single instance, do not use any source material cited or uncited, and usually come from the mistaken belief that Germans win every battle. They get banned or bog down real quick because they don't tell anyone anything.

If you wanted to float those graphic discussions maybe you should post some of your own programming code (not much would be needed) as an example of how you would add Geforce graphics to an established code base, or discuss how you would get Macintosh Geforce drivers written, or something like that, which would really attract people's attention. Then you establish a new line to what is being said, and I bet lots of people who pay close attention, and your thread would never be banned.

I would like to applaud Matt for padlocking my thread "Just a Thought..." and question why it took so long.

Sometimes the lock is paradoxically a sweet release, the longed-for round in the neck that stops the unbearable torture...

It's a public board, but privately owned and maintained, for the purpose of discussing CM. There's a lot of bloody foolishness from time to time and it's fun while it lasts (sometimes) but so many threads just go over old ground, or no ground at all, that some weeding is appropriate.

Often threads are locked because they are duplicates of other "live" threads on the same topic. And the CM community is so chummy that some feel compelled to post topics on current events and opinions that have nothing to do with the game, and it makes sense to shut 'em down after a bit.

To their credit BTS has suffered many lengthy threads which have been harshly (and unfairly) critical of them, often long past the point where anything other than flames result. It's now pretty easy to spot when topics or threads are heading south and I'm glad they're putting on the clamps. Looks bad when newbies or prospective buyers show up.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

I would like to applaud Matt for padlocking my thread "Just a Thought..." and question why it took so long.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they should just lock down any thread started by you on general principle. And that one certainly took too long to get locked. What kind of a padlocker is Matt anyway? We all know you can't trust 32-year olds with anything.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

I think they should just lock down any thread started by you on general principle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be absurd. I would never consider starting a thread on general principle.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Don't be absurd. I would never consider starting a thread on general principle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hah - liar! I know your kind. You would in a split second if given half a chance.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted:

Son: Mom, when I grow up I’m going to play war games for a living.

Mother: Son, you can’t do both.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Playing war games and living?

Growing up and living?

Play war?

Help, I am confused...

------------------

Andreas

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted:

How about if I put it this way:

Mother: Son, you can grow up or play war games for a living you can't do both.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't say!!!

BTW, I think this 'life' thing is highly overrated.

------------------

Andreas

Goodness me, this thread isn't even a fart left behind by a passing uncle of the chambermaid of the Peng Thread.

It takes more than funny stuff to make a peng thread.

It really takes a lot of hard work and a dose of vitriol, topped off which a whack to the head with a bucket of nails, ala Meeks.

PeterNZ