PR Effort

I recently sent the following to the computer games editor at the Los ANgeles Times. Perhaps it will inspire similar efforts.

"I read your recent article about computer games that go "where PC games have gone before."

Here's one that is different in several respects. It's "Combat Mission" and it's described at www.battlefront.com. It's set on the Western Front in the months after the Normandy invasion, the same period and locale represented in "Saving Private Ryan."

It's a step forward in PC gaming in several ways. It's certainly one of the most historically accurate simulations to be produced. Beyond that, it uses the increasing processing power available in today's computers to provide a graphic interface like none I've seen.

After each side (Allies and Germans) tells their units what to do, the computer generates a three dimensional movie of the results. On a minute by minute basis, each player can watch the action in movie form as many times as desired. From high overhead to the individual soldiers viewpoint, you can tilt, pan and dolly the camera in any direction. The word that has been used most frequently by the small but growing group of enthusiasts is "immersion." With the shouts of men, flickering tracer fire and the roar and shake of artillery it's as close as I'll ever want to be to combat.

Another distinguishing feature is the company that produced it. In this day of overhyped games that come out buggy and quickly end up in the bargain bin, this game is the vision and love child of two individuals in Maine. They are marketing it exclusively on the Internet, consciously avoiding the classic channels of distribution, mass merchandising and retail that have resulted in a "lowest common denominator" approach to many computer games. And they seem to be succeeding.

Aaron, I'm not a member of their company, or have any connection to their company. I paid full price for the copy I received. But I can tell you that I got more "play value" from the FREE Demo available at the Battlefront website, that any game I ever paid for.

Your readers might be interested in this game. With the popularity of the History Channel and recent movies like "Saving Private Ryan" and the recent D-Day commemorations, many people would probably like to know about a game that lets them understand and experience the combat of that time better than any other.

And It's available for Mac and Windows."

Good job L4Pilot. I think that's a great idea. For myself, I'm still bewildered by the fact that I haven't seen any billboards for CM on my rides to and from work. I sit on the bus, listening to other people's inane conversations, and wonder why they aren't talking about Combat Mission. What they heck else IS there to talk about?

Say, what's with the monicker. Really flew L4's? Cool! I just finished a model of one. Check out http://www.hevanet.com/efost/pictures.htm

Salute!