Playing from the first person perspective

Scott: Glad you are enjoying it. I deliberatly made it less balanced than normal becuase of the additional burden players face in orienting themselves in 1st person.

Hopefully people will find the scen useful as an easy to get into starting point.

One thing that amazed me is how at the end of the battle I flipped around in birdseye view point and realised the battlefeild was completely different than I had imagined while playing, "Oh I could have advanced in cover there" or "egads that was a nasty crossfire I walked right into." And I designed the darn map! 8)

I dont think many folks will enjoy playing in "ironman" mode like us but I find it a blast.

_dumbo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dumbo:

One thing that amazed me is how at the end of the battle I flipped around in birdseye view point and realised the battlefeild was completely different than I had imagined while playing, "Oh I could have advanced in cover there" or "egads that was a nasty crossfire I walked right into." And I designed the darn map! 8)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true. Additionaly, I find myself thinking "why was I so bunched up...if I had just spread out!" Playing in this way really causes you to do things you would NEVER do in normal play...like keeping your men close together so you can keep an eye on them and keep them in support. In normal play its so easy to just move that squad further away into that copse of trees...in "ironman" smile.gif mode you really fear what that copse could hide!

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Now this is an interesting development. I just downloaded the scenario, and I will soon load it up. The focus in "ironman" CM, IMHO should be on keeping the maps/battles small.

Imagine trying to play the Carentan Operation in "1" view, you might finish in a year if you're lucky. smile.gif

Guest Molyneaux2

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

As soon as BTS gave us a lock-in-first-person option, it would be tantamount to an endorsement of this mode of play, and then people would start wondering why it was so tricky to play in first-person. So then the pressure would grow on BTS to add first-person features, and I've already given my views about that.

David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So does that mean that since they provided the option to play with no FOW that that is an official endorsment and we should all play with no FOW? I think not.

No one was asking for a major rework fo the game, just for a switch to let those who would like to play this way do so.

As you were,

Molyneaux

> So does that mean that since they provided the option to play with no FOW that that is an official endorsment and we should all play with no FOW? I think not.

There's a distinction to be made there. When playing without FOW, the game is still within its main scope, and can still be played optimally - it's just not as challenging.

When playing in first-person, the game becomes tricky - not challenging, but tricky. In other words, you're not testing your tactical skills - you're trying to get to grips with playing the game in a way which it was not intended to be played.

No-FOW is already fully supported, and is logical. First-person is not fully supported, hence my position as detailed in earlier posts.

David

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dumbo:

I dont think many folks will enjoy playing in "ironman" mode<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm almost done with it now (only got a few minutes a day for this one) and it has been a total blast. I have had... trouble. My biggest problem now is lack of ammo!

Amazing how much more urgency a few shots from a distant, but unexpected, location can give you!

Other than resisting the urge to automatically punch 4, I have had very little trouble getting used to the perspective. I would sure take a long, lingering look at the map before starting one of these again! Maybe printing the view 8 out could be the platoon leaders "topo" for reference during the mission.

I'm not much of a designer, but I could sure see putting together little scenarios just for Level 1-only play... I will look forward to further experiments.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Just finished "Italian Morning", in ironman mode, and I wont spoil it for you guys, but I had a lot of fun...

That map felt VERY big when you play in that mode. When I started sneaking up in movement to contact, I was nervous and edgy, and felt like an itty bitty worm, on a big freaking hook.

Even if it isnt your favorite way to play CM, I think it is a valid and interesting approach to the game. I plan on playing this way more in the future.

Oh, David, I think you're a little bit off on this one. There are some downsides to ironman play, but it is certainly challenging, in a tactical sense.

Not knowing what is around the next bend is a tactical obstacle that is not present in standard play. It is what our real-life counterparts had to deal with. The game may have not been designed specifically to play this way, but if you keep the maps and forces small, it works, and it is fun.Just my opinion.

I think that it should be provided as an option for people to play "locked in". If your opponent is playing ironman, the pbem only works if you are playing ironman. If you dont wanna play that way, find a similar opponent. Pretty simple

smile.gif