Brumbar, Sturm Tiger, sIG 33 Bison, Panther II

There is another post on this subject but my vote would be for the SturmTiger. I just want to shoot things with a 38cm gun, is that so bad?

------------------

Meeks is correct.

-Steve, of Big Time Software, creator of Combat Mission, Vicar of Peng on Earth.

[This message has been edited by Elijah Meeks (edited 11-14-2000).]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

There is another post on this subject but my vote would be for the SturmTiger. I just want to shoot things with a 38cm gun, is that so bad?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meeks, you should have guessed by now but, well, how can I put this? You're evil. Therefore anything you want by definition is evil. So yes its pretty bad.

I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm a purist. On the other hand, I also like to "experiment".

Perhaps a solution is to include "exotic" vehicles in a new category, or perhaps a new class of scenario. They could not be used in scenarios rated "historical" but could be purchased for scenarios rated "what if". Just some kind of clearly defined designation so that purists aren't ambushed by fantasy opponents.

------------------

I remember it perfectly: The Germans wore grey; you wore blue...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bastables:

Meeks, you should have guessed by now but, well, how can I put this? You're evil. Therefore anything you want by definition is evil. So yes its pretty bad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But Bastables, evil spelled backward is live and we all want to live, don't we?

------------------

Meeks is correct.

-Steve, of Big Time Software, creator of Combat Mission, Vicar of Peng on Earth.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

But Bastables, evil spelled backward is live and we all want to live, don't we?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We shall ignore the fact that Evil in English when reversed spells Live is mere coincidence and is not true in at least Indonesian or all 5 levels of Javanese. To the more important fact just because you are evil does not mean that everyone wishes to live. If I point out Durkheims seminal study on suicide that he not only showed that some people do not wish to live but that society posses a coercive effect upon its incidence. Insomuch as during periods of ‘anomie’ or dislocation between what society state as valuable to possess or acquire and the ability of said society to provide such items, learning etc, Suicide amongst other deviances increases due to the increse in anoime. Your attempts to cunningly point to the fact that all societies possess and exhibit deviances as a functional aspect are quite laudable, but as the cesspool shows, you my dear sir are EVIL! As is evidence in your attempts at a completely specious linkage between Evil and Live. Just becuse you are required for the smooth function the board does not make you any less EVIL!

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 11-15-2000).]

OK, so here's an interesting "what if" question: If you were a German KG commander during the Ardennes Offensive (and you were requesting assets necessary to accomplish your mission: the seizure of an important objective), what vehicles would you choose (if you could have any)? (No more than 25-30 vehicles). Here's my choice:

*1 Panther Companie of 17 Panthers.

*4 Wirblewind for ADA and direct support.

*4 Brumbar or "Grille" for DS.

*1 Companie of Pioneers (w/1 flamethrower, MG 42, and panzer schreck per platoon. Each platoon would be assigned to a Panther platoon as tank riders).

*4 Pumas w/sharpshooters riding for recon. (Lynx might be better for off road in the snow however....I haven't decided on that one).

*As many arty spotters as my commander would allow.

The Pumas would lead the advance using route reconnaissance (1KM), followed by the Panther Platoons in company staggered column (100-150m interval between vehicles) using traveling overwatch (due to the off road snow and the need for speed). 1 of each support vehicle would be assigned to each platoon, with the remaining vehicles traveling with the KG CDR. Upon making contact, 2 platoons would set up a support by fire, while the 3rd maneuvered to assault the objective. The Brumbar would be used to destroy roadblocks, bunkers, houses, etc., while the Wirblewind would be used for supressive fire if there were no aircraft.

This KG OOB doesn't guarantee a victory, however as long as sufficient fuel and ammo were supplied, it would have a decent success rate. No, I didn't include the Sturmtiger, because it would probably be slow and cumbersome in an offensive operation (it would be invaluable in a city fight though.) To tell you the truth, I really don't know how it would perform (but I'd like to find out).

I would be interested in hearing other options (except if you are going to say you would pick a company of Sturmtigers supported by a field bakery unit).

Talking of vehicles that gain importance because the units they equipped saw intense front line combat in significant battles...

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the German SP guns on converted French chassis used in major battles around Caen/Goodwood. Brainchild of some German Major in 21PD called...ahh name's gone.

Guest machineman

I've got some info on an Alfred Becker, apparently an improvization genius responsible for the conversion of French vehicles into fighting vehicles for the Wehrmacht, amongst which was counted the Marder I series, 185 produced using the 7.5cm Pak 40 gun on the French Lorraine Carrier gun carriage.

He took command of the 21st Panzer division's 200th Assault gun battalion with 45 of these contraptions and was awarded the Knight's Cross for the fighting around Caen, helping denying the city to Anglo-Canadian forces throughout June 1944.

Bastables,

While I accept that everything you say is true, which it is, it still does not jive with the fact that I'm such a pleasant and well-liked person with impecable manners. Someone like that just couldn't be evil. Heck, that's not just said in the Bible but also in the Tao and the Koran.

------------------

Meeks is correct.