Victory conditions

How does the game calculate the winner, and the degree that they won by?

Could I play a PBEM game where I had a outnumbered infantry company and win even if I didn't hold most of the objectives at the end by using my resources wisely and killing far more of his men than men of mine get killed? I ask because I'm getting a little bored of generic ladder "clear weather, summer, dry, meeting engagement" games. Nobody usually wants to play anything other than meeting engagements, but I'm now wondering if probes, or assaults, etc, aren't as balanced in terms of victory levels as doing a same purchase point per side meeting engagement.

Anyone know how this works?

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

It is a good question and i also would like to know more about points scoring.

I would like to know if the points you score are relative to the purchase price of the unit killed, there are times when i have immobilized an opponents tank - he is out of LoS so he poses no threat to my men - but i am not sure if i should TRY and close assault him or not.....or should i just leave him there out of harms way. If i was behind on points and i could gain a lot of points by knocking out the tank (King tiger for example)i would consider the risk as those points could make the difference between a win and a loss.

Other questions relative to points scoring:

Do you also score any points for immobilizing a vehicle?

Do you score any points for a "Gun Hit" ?

Do you score more points for "knocking out" a vehicle as opposed to an "Abandoned Vehicle" ?

Do you score any points for killing a Tank Commander ?

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Also info about control of VL. In previous games I discovered that you needed to keep at least 1 unit or team at a VL to maintain control. Otherwise it switches to "?". In a game just completed, I had a FO guarding 2 captured squads which had taken 50% plus casualities. My fighting units had swept forward and this was in a rear area, no other troops in area. Nearest were mine. At games end this VL showed as disputed, WTF!!! Anyway, what are parameters, is crew sufficient, are number of prisioners watched over by one unit important?

JD

------------------

Official 3000th poster to the original Peng thread and present at it's demise

Pham911, Capitalist...

Not sure I can help with scoring, but my c.02 would be to not let your gaming be guided by point-based strategies.

I usually try to think in basic strategy terms, sometimes even ignoring flags temporarily.

I understand though that in order to maximise your wins while playing on a ladder you need to watch out for points.

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

This is a very good question, that as far as I can tell has never been definitively answered. I conducted searches on "victory condition(s)" and on "score(s)" and while I did find instances of these questions being asked, I did not find the answers. In fact, in one post, Steve said that he would have to ask Charles when he got back from vacation. The thread ended there.

IMO it is quite important to know exactly how victory points are allotted. How much is taking that last victory flag worh, for instance, if it costs an entire platoon or company to take it?

Personally, I generally just duke it out until I am sure that I can gain nothing more, without considering the cost in terms of loss of units. I am sure that I am losing points in some instances with this approach by sacrificing more in loss of troops than the victory points are worth.

This has particular bearing now, as one of my esteemed and very experienced opponents(whose name shall remain undisclosed to save Berli embarassment) seems to be vacating the map to me and running his troops for the edges rather than stick around and fight for the victory flags. It is quite possible that it is worth it to do so in terms of the final outcome.

What say ye Charles, is this to remain a mystery or not?

Yes Pham, you should be very concerned about this. This is exactly how I shall eek out a victory in our game. I shall occupy our VL with my three diminished Polish Platoons, after leaving a swath of dead and decaying Germs in my wake. Now, following my stunning victory, you may send me a setup of any of those other types of Engagements that may strike your fancy. Any one you choose shall be adequate, as the end result will be the same. Yet another loss for the almighty Pham, with no degree of wordsmithing providing even a modicum of satisfaction to the crushed and defeated Axis powers.... (or somefink...) biggrin.gif

Hi,

From my experience

Captitalistdoginchina,

"Other questions relative to points scoring:

Do you also score any points for immobilizing a vehicle?

Do you score any points for a "Gun Hit" ?

Do you score more points for "knocking out" a vehicle as opposed to an "Abandoned Vehicle" ?

Do you score any points for killing a Tank Commander ?"

My answers are about moral, moral is directly linked with points ( the flags mess up a bit this thinking)

The answer for the 1st three questions in short is no... you only lose moral for vehicles abandoned or knocked out.

As for the last two--->Example: originally you have 1000 points, you buy a 100 points vehicle that as 5 crew members (this vehicle costs 10% of the points)... During the battle you lose that vehicle ( abandoned or knocked out), immediately you lose at least 5% moral, if two crew members are dead then you lose more 2%, these making a total of 7% lose of moral on a maximum 10% moral lose for vehicle+crew.

As we can see all that noise about scouting with crews has a nice solution in the game... So we can ask, please scout my position with that King Tiger crew wink.gif

João

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigmac@work:

Yes Pham, you should be very concerned about this. This is exactly how I shall eek out a victory in our game. I shall occupy our VL with my three diminished Polish Platoons, after leaving a swath of dead and decaying Germs in my wake. Now, following my stunning victory, you may send me a setup of any of those other types of Engagements that may strike your fancy. Any one you choose shall be adequate, as the end result will be the same. Yet another loss for the almighty Pham, with no degree of wordsmithing providing even a modicum of satisfaction to the crushed and defeated Axis powers.... (or somefink...) biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, I waited to see if you had another ace up your sleeve before responding(and making an ass out of myself), but it appears that once more the Poles fared rather poorly on the field of battle.

Still, you didn't have your whole country rolled over again, so take pride in that...

I'd offer to treat the prisoners well, but I think with the last human wave assault of yours that we'll just have to settle on decent burials.

• 4 months later...

Just proving I did a search. I've asked this a couple times, I'm asking again.

Can anyone give me some specific answers to victory conditions? I realize part of the fun is being surprised and not being a math wizard, but to design a scenario with suitable levels of victory or defeat, there are some things scenario designers wanna know.

a) do units designated as "must exit" that are destroyed on the map count towards the enemy's total for both i) being destroyed and ii) not exiting?

B) are the points for destroying an enemy unit in any way equal to the purchase points of that unit? Is there fuzzy logic here, or is it straight across?

c) How do casualties affect points - ie you cause 5 casualties in a 9 man squad. Do you get 5/9ths the value of the squad as points?

d) The manual says that exited units are "generally" worth 2 OR 3 times their purchase value (which is what leads me to believe that casualty points might be based on purchase value as well). Why is this indefinite? Is there a random factor involved, or is there a simple formula?

If the answers to this are complex, I'm willing to settle for an answer of "it would take forever to explain." If, however, this is simple, I would be interested in learning more. The manual does not seem to assist me, nor did my search.