British ww2 tank guns questions

Guest GriffinCheng

Guest GriffinCheng

I remember somebody told me that loooong time ago at Tanker's web site but I am asking again.

British tank guns calibur are measured by "pounds". What do they mean? How are they converted to metric measurement?

Griffin.

17 pounder is about 76mm give or take a decimal place or two.

The designation comes from the weight of shot. The shell is heavier.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Right,

a pound is one quarter of a kilogram, 250 gram. Thus the 17-pounder shell would weigh 4,25 kg. Trust the brits to have an offbeat reference system. :P

Tom is right about the calibers ..... but i always thought the 25 pounder was 88 mm.

grtz. S Bakker

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by s bakker:

Right,

a pound is one quarter of a kilogram, 250 gram. Thus the 17-pounder shell would weigh 4,25 kg. Trust the brits to have an offbeat reference system. :P

Tom is right about the calibers ..... but i always thought the 25 pounder was 88 mm.

grtz. S Bakker

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know. I know. Nothing easy like your feet and inches and miles. eh?

Actually,

i'm dutch. Thus we use this strange measurement system called the metric system. You should try it too :P.

Whoops, just assumed dutch 'pond' and english pound would be identical eek.gif. I still under-estimate the brits as logical. I do think mattias scored a point.

grtz s bakker.

From pounds to Burma being a Pacific isle?

Burma is in SE Asia and borders the Indian and South China Sea. It's a beautiful country stuck in time about 50 years ago with an idiotic military tyranny in goverment.

A 25 pounder is a field gun that was also used as a direct fire weapon in a AT role against the Africa Korp, and I think it was an 86mm.

lucero1148, Rick614 was listing three places that still use it, not identifying Burma (Myanmar) as an island.

The 25lber was used as an AT platform, but only in emergencies. It was never positioned explicitly as an AT screen. Too valuable for that ...

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

Here goes again frown.gif

Other poundage Calibres:

17 pdr = 3", 76.2mm

25 pdr = 3.45", 87.6mm

32 pdr = 3.7", 95mm

Pre WW2

13 lb = 3", 76.2mm

18lb = 3.3", 83.8mm

And even further back, 18th century howitzers were measured by teh weight of a stone ball which would fit the bore - eg 20lb (calibre??!!)

Mike

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I think the way to solve this unit of measurement inconsistency among different nations is to allow each country to use their own system when talking about measurements that their own people understand, BUT when talking about measurements that the majority of other countries use is to use the common unit associated with that particular measurement.

Such as this main gun caliber measurement. Most of the world knows main guns in millimeters, now these days. Only the Brits use this "pdr" measurement. Actually the "pdr" measurement is outdated going back to cannon sizes in the Age of Exploration circa 1400s to 1800s.

Small arms are measured in calibre (fractions of an inch) or millimeters, both of which are universally understood.