Sound volume imbalanced?

It seems to me as though all the sounds in CM are pretty quiet. "Turn up the volume", you might say, but there are certain sounds which are louder than the rest, and I'm wondering if this is an imbalance which could be corrected.

The big one is rain. The rainfall and thunder are overpowering, and the gunfire and explosions are barely whispers underneath. I can imagine this being realistic - besides being loud, the rain could possibly muffle distant sounds - but is it practical in a gaming context?

The other one is fire. I find it really annoying when I move the camera over a burning vehicle, and suddenly I'm deafened by this harsh crackling, which drowns out everything else on the battlefield. I can't quite imagine a little fire in an AFV being louder than tons of HE going off all over the place.

I am using a Mac <ducks>, and the Mac version does use Apple's Soundsprocket, so maybe it's just that Soundsprocket sucks. However, are there any PC users who agree with what I'm saying? The sound just doesn't seem to reflect what you're seeing, and all the small-arms fire and HE don't seem to be very loud in the first place.

David

I have completely turned off ambient sounds for all of my games except for the rain & thunder. I find them too irritating and too loud. The ambience is nice for about 20 seconds, but I hate it when I am plotting. I'd rather just listen to a music CD instead.

Jason

It would be nice to be able to turn the sounds off during the plotting of turns, although I enjoy having all the sounds, including ambient, when the turn is playing. But it sounds a bit wierd to have burning vehicles and the gentle song of birds, but no other sound, during plotting. I also find the burning vehicle sounds to be very loud (on a Mac).

Notice I said nice, not desperately required.