The Validity of the "Unit Method" of Transport

Rob Deans said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I raise the question of why was this method chosen over the "Number of Men" method. Should not two half strength sections be able to ride in the vehicle that carried one full strength section into the battle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From dinking with this myself, I've decided that transport capacity is in fact tracked in 2 ways: # of men in the back PLUS what size gun can be towed. These 2 methods interact together to affect what you can and can't put in and behind a transport vehicle.

When you tow a gun, 2 factors are considered. First, does the vehicle have the macho to pull a gun of this weight? This is handled by the numerical transport rating of the gun and vehicle. Second, does the vehicle have room in the back for the gun's crew, ammo, and ancillary equipment? If not, then even powerful vehicles can't tow guns.

A big vehicle like a truck often has the macho to tow a gun, space in the back for the crew et al, and even some space left over for more troops. So, for example, you can tow a 50mm PAK with a truck AND carry an MG team as well. However, you cannot both tow the gun and carry a grunt squad--the gun's crew takes up so much room that there's not enough left for a full squad.

This leads conclusion that CM does in fact use the "Number of Men" method. The capacities listed as "squad" or "team" are therefore only guidelines. And in fact you can put in 2 1/2squads in the same truck if it can carry 1 squad.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman