A couple newbie questions

Jsoh

What exactly is "hull down", and what is the advantage of it? I think I understand how to achieve it by reading the forum (hunt up to a ridge) but I don't know why I would want to do that. Do you have to be unbuttoned for it to work as well?

Also, what's with the assimilating? Why was I assimilated?

Are the three angle measures given so that you can tell how much armor you will have to penetrate depending on what altitude you are to the opposing tank? I.e., the more altiude, the less armor because there is less slope?

Thanks!

Jsoh

Hi Jsoh,

I can answer your first question reasonbly well. The second I will defer to many of the more than capable posters here.

Hull down is an advantage sought by a tank commander where only the turret or upper hull portion of his tank is visibile to the enemy while he still has clear ability to direct fire upon the opposing tank. The simple adavantage is he is presenting a much smaller target. And no, you do not have to open to use it.

[This message has been edited by Bratch (edited 09-04-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jsoh:

What exactly is "hull down", and what is the advantage of it? I think I understand how to achieve it by reading the forum (hunt up to a ridge) but I don't know why I would want to do that. Do you have to be unbuttoned for it to work as well?

Also, what's with the assimilating? Why was I assimilated?

Are the three angle measures given so that you can tell how much armor you will have to penetrate depending on what altitude you are to the opposing tank? I.e., the more altiude, the less armor because there is less slope?

Thanks!

Jsoh<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are others who will probably give you better answers, but they are probably all asleep, so I will give you interim answers as best I can.

Hull down refers to the tactic of getting your tank into a position (relative to an enemy gun or vehicle), so that a fold of the land, or wall, or whatever, blocks LOS to your vehicle except for the turret (thus allowing you to shoot at them, and them to return fire but only at the harder to hit turret, as the majority of your vehicle is covered)

CM Borg is a reference/play upon the popular Star Trek series. The Borg are a hive culture that absorbs all others into their own, basically as raw materials. The joke here is that, as one enthusiasitic about Combat Mission, you had been absorbed into this community, and are now one with the collective entity. (Lately, that collective entity has been showing a lot of fragmentation and deterioration, but hopefully it will stop soon smile.gif ).

This last point is tougher to do quickly, especially for a non-grog. Basically, armour's slope adversely affects the penetration of AP(armour piercing ammo). Slope can be a function of the aspect of the tank because of the terrain it is on (higher eleveation, tilted because of sloping terrain, etc.) or because the armour on the tank is sloped as part of design. Someone else will have to give you the technical aspects (even simple tech aspects) of the effect of armour sloping. The examples given in CM are some rough guides to give you an idea what your chances are given your gun's penetrative power against another tank's designed in 'slope', or other aspects of terrain effect (harder for you to know in CM).

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

G'day Jsoh,

(i) A Tank is said to be 'hull down' when all the opposition can see is it's turret, the hull being obscured and protected by some mass.

(ii) Assimilition is a 'right of passage' and a running joke on this board. It's sort of recognition that you have correctly identified CM as the great game that it is, and are now hopelessly addicted to it!

(iii)the three angle measures indicate the slope of the armour from the vertical. There are three factors that are considered in determining shell penetration, angle of attack, kinetic energy of the projectile, and thickness of the armour!

Anyhow, welcome aboard!

Mace